a d o r a

s i x

i ambled downstairs and into the living room. i had just put kaarina down in her crib so she could hopefully sleep better. the boys were in the living room with sam sitting next to a pile of his toys. michael was sitting close to him while the other boys expected him warily. i sat next to luke on the couch and leaned against his left side. his left arm was draped over the couch so i was able to fit into his embrace.

"so, you just have this kid now?" calum asked uncomfortably, "what does this mean for the band?"

"first, he isn't just 'this kid', his name is sam. this doesn't mean anything for the band, calum. i have a kid, luke has a kid, you have a kid, now shut up. i honestly don't understand what your problem is," michael sighed, looking over at sam.

calum paused and rolled his lips together, "it's just, i don't know, rachel and i were ready for marriage and thomas. luke and adora had theirs spontaneously and yours came from a mistake."

sam's head of thick dirty blonde hair shook as he looked up. he blinked at calum and at michael before moving his toys closer to him. i watched him thoughtfully.

"i swear to god, calum, i'll hit you. he's not a mistake and don't call him that. especially when he's right here. i don't know what is going to happen and i know that this won't be easy but it's not your problem. obviously, your life has always been perfect and always will be while luke and i have shit so i guess we should listen to you and completely change our lives around."

"that's not what i'm saying," calum groaned loudly.

sam flinched, making me frown. michael slid down onto the floor next to sam. sam piled dinosaurs and dragons into michael's lap before taking them out one by one and setting them up in a straight line. he focused on this while calum tapped his foot anxiously.

"what's wrong?" ashton asked.

"i don't even know. this just doesn't seem right and no one is being realistic about this."

"go home, calum," ashton sighed, "just go home to your realistic life, please."

i stared down at the coffee table as the tension built in the room. every so often one of the boys would be a little to truthful and things like this would happen. they always blew over but they were terrifying while they happened.

michael brushed his thumb over sam's cheek. he pulled his hand back and wiped his thumb off on his jeans before leaning down to sniff sam's shirt. his nose scrunched up with disgust.

"we need clothes, soap, and whatever those diapers for toddlers are," he stated.

luke waited for calum to drive out of the driveway before jumping over the couch and running out the door. i got up to search the house for things to take baths with while michael carried sam upstairs.

i opened random closet doors until i found a pile of washcloths and some bubbles. i held them close as i walked down the hall michael had just walked through. i then slipped into a large room and followed the sound of running water and complaining.

"it's just a bath, you'll be fine," michael huffed as he tried to get sam back in his arms, "it's gonna have bubbles and soft washcloths that adora found. it's also going to be really warm. you just have to cooperate."