Chapter 4: The Alpha, and The Omega

(James comes back to NYZ, New York Zero, before anything with Alex happens.)

James storms into the debriefing room in the Green Zone, looking around quickly, trying to find Colonel Rooks. "Where's Rooks!?" Heller screamed. He stomped all throughout the room, the rooms beside it, and outside again.

"HELLER!"

James turned around quickly, hearing the voice of Rooks. "What in the fucking hell are you doing here? We had a deal!" James looked up at Rooks while he was sitting down. "Rooks, look, I know we had a deal... We did... Alex Mercer... He could be back."

"Okay, hold your high god damned motherfucking horses. What did you just say? Mercer is back? Didn't you kill him? No, you gotta be kidding. Just, go ahead back, if anything happens, we've got thi-"

"Rooks. Mercer is back. Trust me. Dana has done her research... He's... He's back."

"Where the fuck is he then? What does he fucking want this time?"

James rubs his eyes, seeing the flashbacks of Mercer again. "He's just wanting to do the same thing he's wanted to do before... What have you done with the Red Zone? Did you quarantine it at all from the other zones?"

Rooks thinks for a minute, before saying, "Yeah, yeah, we sent out a group of soldiers to quarantine both sides of the tunnels from the Green to the Red."

"Are they even still alive? Did you not think that anything else could be over there? The evolved could still be in your ranks... Oh my god... They could still be in your ranks-" James gets cut off by a call, coming from Rooks' radio.

"Castle, Red Crown, anyone! For the love of God, send help to the tunnels! There's, there's something here! I can't get a good look at it, its moving too damn fast- OH MY GO-" The transmission is cut off, leaving nothing but white noise and static.

Rooks looks at James before turning around, his hands behind his back again. "It's been two years... Two FUCKING years... I can't let this happen again. Heller, I know we made a deal. Let's make another one... If you can go down there and stop whatever it is in that tunnel... I'll-"

"You don't need to do anything, Rooks. Just let me handle this."