Chapter 5: The Spaces Between The Words

(James is disguised as a Blackwatch Soldier, heading into the tunnel of the Red Zone.)

"Checkmate, this is Castle, how copy?"

"Checkmate."

"You are to report to the end of the tunnel of the Red Zone, find whatever the hell is down there that killed Alpha Five Two."

James, walking down the tendril infested tunnel of the Red Zone, has the company of four other Blackwatch soldiers. They are all destined for something today... Death, is more than a likely possibility of that destiny.

1: "This is some creepy, R.L. Stine shit, brah. How can Mercer make all of this happen? Wouldn't they like, die if they didn't have any water?"

2: "They are made from the virus, they aren't plants, dumbass."

1: "Hey dude, you don't know that! Asshole..."

2: "I knew some of the fucking scientists that helped control this fuck of concoctions. I know good and damn well that these are not fucking plants, now shut the fuck up."

3: "Hey guys! Speaking of plants, I killed this one guy, who looked like JUST like the guy who had the daughter that was Poison Ivy. Like, from Batman?"

4: "Pictures, or it didn't happen."

3: "Look, I swear he did, man!"

2: "Shut the fuck up, Starnes."

3: "Dude, you are an asshole..."

2: "Look you incompetent sack of shit, I will make sure you die down here in this virus infested hole of hell if you call me dude one more GOD DAMN time. Do you understand me you worthless piece of living, human flesh?"

Checkmate: "If all of you don't close your fucking mouths, we'll all die down here, okay? Now make fucking sure you're keeping your eyes out for our POI's. Holy shit..."

As soon as Heller got the Soldiers to quit their bickering, they continued down the tunnel. Almost all the way to the end, the Soldiers began to bicker, once more.

1: "... Look, dude, I'm teeeelling you. They would not win in a fight against The Black Holes!"

3: "You've got no idea what you're talking about man."

2: "For the love of Christ, shut the fuck up."

Checkmate: "Castle, I'm not spotting any visual of our lost POI's, over."

Castle: "Make damn sure... We can risk having a third outbreak..."

Checkmate: "Roger that."

The Soldiers continued talking, but this time, a loud scream silenced them, and all of their weapons slung forward, towards the sound of the wail.

"OH GOD HELP ME, AHH-"

A loud splattering was heard by all members of Omega team... No one knew what it was, or what it could be. Heller only hoped for the best, and wished against of the worst.

"Starnes, Riley, go check on that noise. I'll be behind you. Johnson, Jacobs, you stay here, make sure nothing else comes out."

James followed the two soldiers, continuing on, leaving the other two behind to stay put. As the kept lookout on all cones of vision on the tunnel, something darted out of the darkness, killing Riley. Starnes began to scream, and shoot uncontrollably. Not long after, he was killed too. After not being hit himself, Heller pointed his flashlight on the two men, lying dead, disfigured in front of him. He heard a loud screech, after being hit in the head, and knocked onto the ground. His vision began to slowly darken, as his eyes fell closed.