Chapter 4: Preparing

Matthias' POV:

It was incredibly early in the morning, much earlier than I'm used to getting up. Nonetheless, I groggily stumbled out of bed and crawled to the bathroom. Today was the day I was going to that high school, Grand Island I think it was called, and doing a little presentation. 

After taking a hopefully silent shower, I threw on my Team Edge shirt, even though we were meeting this weekend, my own blue Team Edge snap-back, a plain pair of jeans, and some random thing of socks. My eyelids were still heavy, not quite ready to get moving. 

Sluggishly, and quietly as an attempt not to wake Amanda, I trudged down the stairs, sending a small echo sounding throughout the house with each step. The plain white surroundings entered my line of vision, though it was dimmed slightly. My hand slid against the wall, searching for the light switch, finding it, flipping it on, and light illuminated the room. 

A yawn threatened to escape my lips as I stumbled over to the kitchen and began to brew a small cup of coffee. Pulling my phone out of my pocket, I scrolled through emails and managed to lock the address of the school in my head.

After coffee, food, and some Star Wars, I was finally ready to head on out. Quickly, I scribbled down a note to Amanda, explaining to her where I was in the case that she forgot. Placing the small paper on the kitchen counter, I snatched up my keys, slid on my shoes, and left for my car.

*20 Minutes Later*

Finally, my car came up into the visitor parking lot to the nearly desolate school. Nervous, I stepped out of my vehicle and made my way towards the large soon to be packed building. 

My hand pushed lightly against the front door, sending a warm wave of air blasting in my face. To my right was just a long hallway with posters splattered all the way against it. On my left was a much shorter hallway, but with a few, what I assumed to be teachers, chatting about something in particular. 

When they heard the creak of the door, their heads instantly shot up and stared at me, their eyes burning into my skull.

"Who are you?" a man in a crisp grey suit and short graying hair questioned sharply, squinting towards me.

"Oh, uh, I'm Matthias. I'm here for that thing where different people with different jobs come and talk to students?" I explained fearfully, leaving my sentence hanging. The women in a business suit and black hair resting on her shoulders nodded, understanding. 

"Yes yes, you said your name was Matthias, correct?" the women questioned. Still nervous and confused, I sent a nod their way. 

"Alright. The principal is in a meeting, but you're kind of early. Follow us, we'll give you your pass to go around the school." The man motioned for me, sending a small sense of fear rushing through my body. Never trust strangers, especially if they're in suits and suggesting you follow them. Nonetheless, I kept a slow pace behind the two of them, keeping my nervousness silent. 

After a few extremely uncomfortable minutes, we arrived downstairs at a small room that had the words "10th SCIENCE," written in bold letters on the door.

The both of them pushed open the door, revealing a ridiculously large room with desks and stools spread throughout, along with another man with glasses and a checkered shirt sitting at a computer, typing something.

Once the man glanced up at us, he rose from his desk and walked to us. 

"This is one of our guest speakers, the YouTube guy Matthias. Matthias, this is a science teacher here, Mr. Turner." I was slightly offended by being called a, "YouTube guy," but besides that, we did a formal handshake.

"Nice to meet you." I mumbled, slightly anxious to get out now. This situation seemed a lot more different than I assumed it would be like. 

"Students will be arriving in just a few minutes, so you can pull up anything you need to show on my computer. I'm going to grab a coffee." Mr. Turner suggested, indicating the area behind him, then leaving with other two teachers, letting me sit there awkwardly. 

Silently, I pulled up my channel on the computer and scrolled through the videos I wanted to show. It was either going to be the Disney Song Challenge with Mark, or the song Backwards. Both I was very happy with. There was a possibility I could do the two videos instead of just one. 

Then, the sound of rustling and many loud teenagers came from outside the door. School had been opened. Making the decision to do two videos, I brought them both up in different tabs, paused them, and scrolled through my phone, making sure I had memorized what I wanted to say. 

After a short minute, the door swung open and a few teenagers stumbled in. It was a group of what looked like the classic jock group, all with varsity jackets and the tallest was even holding a football. Once their gaze focused on me, their eyes narrowed in confusion and somewhat anger.

"Who the heck are you and where's the teacher?" The boy in a red jacket questioned, clenching his fists. I gulped.

"I'm here for a presentation and your teacher is out getting coffee or something, I apologize. I would assume he would just want you to sit down." I explained in a surprisingly calm tone. Grumbling, they all sat down at a table and began talking about a basketball game or something.

As the minutes passed, more and more different types of people barged in. Nerds, musicians, popular girls and many many more. Standing up quickly, I shoved my phone into my pocket and stood in the corner behind the desk, waiting for the teacher to come. 

The expression saved by the bell comes in handy, as the millisecond before the bell rang, the teacher quickly walked into the classroom. He glanced at me, then the students, and then sat back down at his desk and began to do attendance. 

Nearly all of the kids were staring at me oddly, obviously wondering what a random guy was doing standing behind a teacher. Once Mr. Turner had finished on his computer, he stood up sharply and looked over at the entire class. 

"Class, this is our presenter for the day. Show him the same respect you'd show me." the teacher ordered, narrowing his eyes. No one said a word. Silently, he left the room, leaving me alone in charge of 30 or so kids. Stepping towards the front, I grinned slightly.

"How's it going, guys? I am Matthias!"

------------

I legit wrote the majority of this during 2nd period because I was done with my work. Success. Anyway, thank you all for reading and I will see you all laterade!

-Sara