Chapter 3/ The Project

Telling Me Anyways - The Project

Chapter 3:

Chris had a smaller house than the rest in the street which made is stand out slightly. I walked up the walkway leading to the front door. They didn't have much of a porch but I was still required to step up. They had a few potted plants on their porch, but most of them were shriveling up from the cold air and slowly withering away.

I knocked on the front door and it was immediately followed by loud yipping. The door cracked open slowly and there stood Chris's struggling to encumber a Yorkshire terrier in his arms.

"Please come in," he said hurriedly and I stepped inside. The air smelled like cinnamon and it was warm and toasty unlike the frigid outside air. I removed my coat and he took it from me, tossing it on a couch in another room.

"This should only take like a half an hour," he told me. "This way." I followed him into a kitchen. A lady, who I assumed to be his mom, took a hot pan of cookies out of the oven. I'll admit I felt a little awkward. I had only met him that morning so it was odd to be in his house so soon after.

"Oh! And who might you be?" Chris's mom asked when she turned around.

"This is Beth, the girl who I am finishing the project with," he explained to his mother. I gave an awkward wave to her. She started walking towards me and I became nervous. I tucked my hair behind my ears out of habit and took a step back.

She reached out a hand. I accepted it and shook it. "Nice to meet you," I said shyly.

"Let's get to work on the project," Chris said grabbing my arm and pulling me away from his mom. She turned away and continued crooning a bouncy toon.

He led me into a nicely decorated room with a long table and chairs. He closed the door behind us and took out the map we were working on. We began to complete it in silence.

"So...um... Trip down any stairs recently?" I asked to break the ice. Seriously?! That's the best you could come up with?! *mental facepalm*

He turned and gave me an amused look. "No, have you?" He asked me.

"...Yes." I answered quietly.

"Alright," he said chuckling. "How recently?"

"...This morning." I whispered hoping he wouldn't really hear me. Unfortunately with my luck he did and started laughing at my clumsiness. "Hey! It's not funny I have a bruise on my jaw!"

"Aw boo boo," he taunted. "Do you want my to kiss it to make it better?" Chris said teasing me. My mind wandered to the possibility of that and I hate to admit but, I actually don't think I'd mind it. The thought of his kisses sent butterflies to my stomach.

I realized what I was thinking about and immediately pushed the thoughts out of my head, but that didn't stop the rouge growing on my cheeks. I pretended like nothing happened and began to continue working on our project, but I couldn't help but take notice of him staring at me. His smirk burned a whole in my cheek.

"Is that blush I see?" I could hear the wicked grin in his voice.

"N-no!" I cursed silently for stuttering. "I just met you, dimwit!"

He chuckled again, "oh... right..." He winked at me causing to uncontrollable blush to fill my cheeks once again. The sarcasm in his voice made my stomach loop in circles and I almost let out a giggle.