Chapter 4/ Just Observing

Telling Me Anyways - Just Observing

Chapter 4:

"Hey!" I said excitedly as I sat down next to Chris on the bus. "I thought you died!"

"I was gone for one day," he laughed. "If I didn't know any better, I'd say that you really missed me." His cocky smirk made my cheeks heat up and I tried to not look away from embarrassment. Chris was wearing a stripped green polo that outlined his muscles making him look almost attractive.... No! No, no, and no! I forbid this! I forbid the feelings!

"Ha! You? I wouldn't miss you in a million years!" I retorted. He let out an exaggerated gasp and put on his best "shocked" look.

"Ouch, I'm a little hurt," he told me. "I-I thought we were friends."

"Friends? With you?" I asked disgustedly. I started making a bunch of fake gagging noises. His expression stayed serious and almost annoyed. I laughed a little, "why would you suggest such a thing like being friends with you?!"

"Elizabeth..." He warned teasingly.

"Ew you sound like my Da-- Mom!" I stumbled. I haven't told him about my Dad yet. It only happened a year ago which is why we had moved here me and my mom. My Dad was so happy and curious of the world and it crushed both me and my mom the day it happened. I can't talk about it with anyone or else I'll get really emotional and I don't like the feeling of weakness. When I cry I feel fragile and it only hurts me more. I don't want to keep breaking because I know it will only keep getting worse.

"Your Da-- Mom?" he chuckled. I looked up to meet his eyes and he immediately saw the anguish hidden behind mine and his smile dropped. "What's wrong?"

I averted my eyes and didn't say anything. My eyes had already become glossy and I didn't need to start crying. I just needed to focus on my breathing and I'd forget about it. I just needed to take a deep breath and forget any of it happened. After a minute I felt myself relaxing, but I could still feel Chris's gaze locked on. I pondered over whether I should explain it to him sometime or at least look back at him, but I couldn't bring myself to do it. It only happened a year ago and I can still remember exactly what had happened.

Flashback *

Everything was great. We were the picture perfect happy family. I had good grades, both my parents had well-paying jobs, and we had a nice house. We couldn't be any more perfect than we were. We all had high hopes for our futures. My parents were intensely in love. Or so we all thought...

That night came. Dad was working late and mom was downstairs cooking one of her famous meals. I was sitting at my desk working on my math homework when I heard the knock on my door.

"Come in!" I yelled from where I was sitting. My mom came in with a concerned countenance plastered to her face. She held something in her hands that she was clutching against her heart. Her short, curly hair was matted to her head and messed up in all different directions. Her eyes were puffy and swollen. She slowly ambled over to my desk, she was limping. She reached out her arm and with a shaking hand dropped a crumbled up piece of paper on my desk.

Gasping, I gave her a bemused look before I snatched the paper off my desk. My eyes gleaned over the scratchy handwriting printed on the post-it note.

Dear family,

I must say we came far. I'm sorry to say, but I wasn't as happy as I may have seemed. Janet, my beautiful wife, I just didn't feel the same way over the time. I'm so sorry. I just couldn't live with the guilt that I was pretending to love you as much as I promised I would. You deserve someone who loves you just as much as you love them. I will mail the divorce papers to you and all you'll have to do is sign, sweetheart. I'm only doing this because I do care. I love you, Beth.