Chapter 1

I pull my dark brown hair into a ponytail. I twist around the elastic and check my face in the mirror one more time. I stumble downstairs and am greeted by my mother. Her soft pink lips are in a smile, but her blue eyes look sad.

I smile, doubtfully at her. I'm leaving for university today. I'll be starting my own life.

Oh yeah! I'm Alyssa. I'm going to the University of Arizona to be a journalist. It's my first year and I'm 19.

"Alyssa?" A small voice speaks, and a tiny hand tugs at the end of my shirt. I turn around to see my 9 year old sister Alison standing there.

"Oh, hey Ali!" I beam. I crouch down to her size. Her glum expression shows she doesn't want me leaving.

"Don't leave, please," she whispers. I hug her tightly.

"It's okay. I'll always visit, promise." I force myself to not cry. I pull away from our hug. I push her bright blonde locks out of her eyes. I smile at her, and stand up again.

"Liam is coming soon," my mom says. I smile at her and walk towards her. We hug each other.

"I'll be fine, mom. Don't worry," I hush.

"I know, but you're all grown up now. You grew up too fast," she sniffles.

"Oh mom, you knew I was gonna grow up," I giggle. She smiles slightly.

The door clicks open and Liam walks in. "Liam!" I light up. I run through the hall and he catches me. I kiss him. His shirt smells like cologne. But not too strong, just the way I like it.

"You're already leaving?" He says. I nod. "I'll miss my Al!" He tousles my hair.

"I'm not Al! You know I hate that!" I scold him playfully. "And you wrecked my hair," I spit. He laughs. Mom and Alison walk into the living room, leaving Liam and I alone.

"No, but seriously. I'll miss you," he says with a cute tone.

"Me too. I love you," I say. We've been together for a year and a half. He's going to a different university, I don't know which because he's not starting for another month.

"Love you too." He pecks my lips. In walks Hazel. The one and only. My best friend. Her blonde highlighted hair is curled from the ends, and he black skater skirt is pleated, nearly.

"There's the one and only!" I beam. She grins, widely. I hug her.

"I can't believe you're going to Arizona and I'm going to Cali!" She whines.

"I know, but I can easily visit," I play it off. She nods. Her hazel eyes are teary. Making tears sting the brims of mine.

"You're making me cry," she chokes out and digs her head into my shoulder. I hug her and pat her back.

"I'll miss you, but we will meet up," I coo. She pulls away and wipes up her tears. Liam stands in the doorway. I smile, sympathetically at Hazel.

"I've gotta start loading up my car!" I blurt. Liam helps me carry out my two huge suitcases and three duffel bags into my backseat and trunk.

"What did you put in this?! A body?" He heaves up the suitcase. I roll my eyes.

Once it's done I hug everybody, one more time and get in my car. I start up the engine and wave back. I pull away and off I go.

•••

I arrive at the busy campus. I pull into my parking space. Damnit. How am I going to carry these things? I don't know anyone either.

I lift up one of the suitcases. It's really heavy. I turn around but it slips out of my hand and right in front of a walking girl. "Oops... S-sorry," I stammer.

"it's okay. Want some help with that?" She asks. I look up at her. Her green eyes are anxious.

"Umm...yeah that'd help," I say. She nods.

"Matt? MATT!" She waves over in a direction. A boy turns around. HOLY SHIT. His hazel eyes are confident and his light brown hair is in a perfect quiff. His figure is muscular but not too muscular. Normal.

"What do you want-" he says to the girl. Then turns to me. His eyes pop open. "Hellooooo there," he says slickly. I chew on my lip.

"Ughh, Matt. Just please help us with carrying this," she snarls.

"Well you're friend here is... Hot," he smirks. I stand there, looking like a lost puppy. The girl rolls her eyes.

We each grab a duffel bag and one suitcase. The girl grabs a duffel bag and Matt grabs the rest. We walk through the campus. "I'm Jennifer by the way," she tells me, as we walk. "Call me Jen."

"I'm Alyssa," I say back. She nods.

"What're you studying?" She asks, panting from the heavy bag.

"Journalism, you?" I reply.

"Interior design. My mom wanted me too, I guess you could say I'm okay with it." She shrugs. Matt is way ahead of us. We speed up and in a few minutes, we go through these doors.

We walk into a lobby with students standing around, and a desk. The sign reads Dormitory Claim. We go to the front desk. A plump brunette woman sits there, with a blank expression. "Can I help you?" He asks, glumly.

"Umm...yeah we're here for our dormitory claim," Jen stutters. The woman looks down at her computer, and types something rapidly.

"Names?" Her eyes, glued to the screen.

"Alyssa Winters," I speak up. She types.

"Room 11, floor 2." I nod at her. She hands me the keys, that also has a label with the room number and floor. She moves her eyes towards Jen.

"Jennifer Hemmings," she replies. She types.

"Room 4, floor 3." She hands her the key.

"Matthew Hemmings," Matt says, flatly. They're related?! Oh God.

"Siblings?" She asks. Matt and Jen nod. She hands Matt the keys.

"Room 11, floor 2. You'll be sharing with...Alyssa Winters." My mouth goes dry at her statement. WHAT?! Matt smirks. Jen looks taken aback as well.

"Err...thank you!" Jen blurts and pulls us away. I can't comprehend what this is. I'll be sharing with this cocky, ignorant dude. Who is my new friend' brother!

Jen pulls out a luggage cart and pulls my bags and suitcases onto it. We step into the elevator, and it's silent. "So we're sharing a room," Matt says, mischievously.

"Y-yeah..." I say, blankly. Jen shoots a glare at Matt.

"Don't try anything," she spits. Matt raises an eyebrow.

"I'll try...not," he mumbles. My eyes widen. He lets out a stifled chuckle. The little bell rings and the doors slide open. I wheel out the cart and we get to my room. I slip in the key and unlock the door.

There's a coffee coloured love seat in a small living room area, a wide flat screen TV.

There's one door to a room. I open it. It's quite big. Two queen sized beds and a desk. Nice. WAIT! MATT AND I ARE SHARING A BEDROOM?! I smack my head.

I sigh and collapse onto the bed. Matt walks in. "You already called a bed?" He asks.

"Hmmm..." I hum. The buzz of my phone startles me.

A/N:

First chapter. Wooohhhh. Hope you liked. Feel free to Share feedback :) love y'all.

xxx