Chapter 13

We all get into my car, the doctors told us to leave, as visiting hours were over. They told us we could come back tomorrow, after 11:00 am.

Alison and I sit in the back. She's aware of what's happening. She sniffles quietly as I cuddle her. Matt drives as I tell him where to go.

•••

I get into my mothers room. I'll stay there for the night, with Matt. She has a fairly large bed. Ali doesn't say a word, and disappears into her room. I want her to stay wit us.

I get into my pajamas and get into bed. Matt follows. Five minutes later there's a knock. Alison walks in. Her hazel eyes glimmer in the dark.

Matt and I make room for her, as she slips in with us. We all cuddle.

Sleep doesn't come easily. I can't believe my mother is dying.

•••

Two weeks later...

I wake up in my chair. In the hospital room. I've been skipping school. We rush to the hospital. Today's the day.

We get into her room. Her eyes are cold. "Mom, b-before..." I start crying. Matt stands by me. With a shoulder around my waist. "I'm sorry, for not being there, all the time. I'm sorry for anything I've ever done, that's made you hurt. I love you...so much," I say, gripping her hand.

She smiles weakly. Ali says her bit, and the there's silence. The heart rate monitor, still goes on. "Take care of yourselves. I l-love you," were her last words. The monitor projects a long beep, and a straight line.

"I'm sorry," the doctor speaks. Alison grabs my hand. I hug Matt, crying into his shoulder. He calms me.

•••

It's late in the night. The family members know. They're planning the funeral. "Matt, I can't leave Alison here. I can't." I sigh.

"Alyssa, as much as I would like her to come, she can't. We live in a student dormitory. They won't allow it. Affording a house is too hard," he says.

"B-but where am I supposed to leave her?" I protest.

"With a relative. Like your grandma?" He suggests. I sigh, heavily.

"B-but... I can't do that. My grandma is a busy woman."

"We will have to for a bit. We have no money. We need to start working," Matt pulls me in for a hug. I sniffle.

"I know..." I breathe. "I'll leave her, until we can at least afford an apartment." I give in.

"Good," he pulls away from the hug, and kisses my forehead."

•••

I walk to the small funeral. Where all of our family is. I see the coffin at the front. I look away.

People go up and say there little speeches. I don't have the courage. I can't. I'll break down.

At the end, I walk to the coffin, and see my mother's lifeless eyes, for the last time.

•••

3 weeks later...

I'm back at school. The funeral has happened. I've been able to reflect on a lot. Things happen for a reason, and we can't control. Life has to move on, no matter how big the heartache.

I've moved on. Yes, it hurts, a lot. But it's done. I've left Alison, trying to get a job. Trying to get money. I've lost my mother and my father. Both of them. It's probably so hard for Alison. She's only 9.

•••

I drop my resume off at a local Cafe, bakery thing. I need some money. I've also talked to Mr Wilsons, I'm starting a paid internship. That way I'll get decent amounts of money.

My phone rings. I answer. "Hello?" I ask.

"Hi, Alyssa?" It's Mr Wilsons. "I wanted to let you know, you've got the job. Congratulations. I'll see you this Monday," he says urgently.

"Oh my God. This is amazing! Thank you so much," I say in awe.

"No problem. I'm anxious to see what you can do. See you soon," he says.

"Bye," I conclude and hang up. Thank god. I needed this. I work there Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Work at the bakery Thursday, Saturday, Sunday. Perfect. I'll get Tuesday off, so I can study and stuff.

•••

Matt's POV

Things have been difficult. After the horrible death of Alyssa's mom, we've both been trying to earn money, to afford a little home. For us and Alison. I'm working a job at a grocery store. Great. Not.

As much as I don't want to work, I have too. I wanna make Alyssa happy. It's Monday now. Alyssa's leaving in a few minutes.

"Gotta go!" She calls. I turn around to face her. She's dressed formally, in a skin tight, grey dress. She looks stunning. I step towards her, and kiss her gently.

"See you, have fun," I say. She smiles.

"Bye, love you," she chirps and leaves.

•••

Alyssa's POV

I get to work. In a small cubicle. What? What is this? An office job?! God, what was I thinking? Of course it's an office job. It's an internship. I don't even get to do real journalist things. Ugh.

Work goes on. As I'm forced to just type away fake, false articles onto a computer. I'm starting to rethink everything. About being a journalist. I don't know. I'm never gonna get an actual job as one.

•••

6 months later...(a/n: Srry for time skips)

Slow progress. I've quit my internship, I don't want to be a journalist. I've changed my career choice into an interior designer. I know, it's quite different. But, hey, I like it. I got a paid internship, it's not amazing, but it's okay.

An office job isn't something for me. And it's going pretty well. School is zooming by. We're almost able to afford a 3 bedroom apartment. But we're gonna need to have some sort of babysitter. Matt and I aren't always gonna be home.

And we have to pay bills and things like that. "Hello?" I get snapped out of my thoughts. A customer, at the cafe.

"oh! Hello, how may I help you?" I stammer.

"Right...can I get a small coffee, and one slice of apple pie? Thank you," the man says. I nod, as I put in his order.

"Alright $12.50. You're order will be with you shortly." I yawn. The same exact thing over and over again. I need to do this.

Nothing can get more worse.