The Surprise

I feel Hesh get up and kiss my forehead. I could hear him gather my comrades and explain to them what happened last night. I could hear Lieutenant Elas speak up,
"If she's going to do that every night then I don't think she should be a marine."
"Lieutenant Elas that is Captian Jones call not yours. Now everyone get ready for your crash course."
I hear Hesh come back in the tent.
"I suppose I should get up." I say sitting up.
"Yeah you should go get cleaned up and get ready for your crash course."
I leave and as I leave the tent I hear Hesh call the Captian Jones. I clean up and get ready for the crash course which I am the first to show and to my surprise Jonah Barnes our humvee driver is our teacher.
"My savior." He says as I approach.
"Far from it Barnes. Far from it. How have you been? "
"Great since I'm not dead. How have you been?"
"You haven't heard?"
"About what? Last night?"
"Yeah."
"I've heard."
"So how do you think I've been?"
"Not good I guess."
"Exactly. I guess I shouldn't drink coffee before I go to bed."
"Guess not. Hey you know what helps me go to bed at night?"
"What's that?"
"Drink a half of glass of water."
"If you say so Barnes."
"Trust me it works."
"It better or your going to hear about it." Me and Barnes got a good laugh out of that.
"Well it's good to see you two aren't lollygaging." Hesh says walking toward us.
"Well the others are right behind you Colonel." Barnes says pointing behind Hesh.
"Well it's about time for you guys to show." I say looking directly at Hesh. Hesh smiles.
"Well shall we get going with this crash course since you guys are 20 minutes late."
"You may proceed Barnes." Hesh says standing next to Barnes.
The crash course lasted a few hours and it was really great considering it was a crash course. At dinner Hesh decided to announce something,
"Alright I know there is some arguing whether or not West should be a marine and I've talked to Captain Jones and he said it's normal for women and it should wear off within a week."
Barnes nudges me and smiles.
"And now I have a really big announcement to make. Everyone."  Everyone stands up and starts to hum. Barnes looked at me with a confused look on his face. Hesh approaches me and gets down on one knee.
"Alex I know this is the oddest place to do this but after we get out of this place will you marry me?" Hesh holds up a wedding band.
"Hesh you caught me off guard but yes I will marry you." Hesh puts the wedding band on my finger and smiles.
"I'll put my wedding band on even though we aren't married yet."
I see everyone start to clap except for Lieutenant Elas who walks out of the tent in disgust. I silently follow him to the control tent and listen to him call who I assume was Captain Jones.
"Did you give him permission to do that?"
"Do what?" I can hear the other man saying.
"Propose to Alex West."
"Yes I did Lieutenant do you have a problem with that?"
"How about this is combat not a family get together."
"Lieutenant I can pull you out of there if you can't work with an engaged couple."
"I'all deal Captain."
"Good." I heard Lieutenant Elas hand up and sigh.
"This is such bull." He says as he walks out of the tent. I hind on the side of the tent where he can't see me. As I watch him kick sand as he walked I thought to myself,
"He's pissed about me getting engaged? Why it's not like he's my brothers or father or my mother for s matter of fact."