Chapter Nineteen

Deidre

Deidre woke up feeling like she hadn't ever had such an amazing night's sleep. She glanced out the window next to her bed and noticed the darkening sky.

Wait. Window? Bed? Right. She'd been in the Society for the last week and was sleeping in the bed in her room.

She kept thinking this over and over but couldn't remember anything that would have happened, not even why she would be sleeping at about seven in the evening.

Slipping off the covers, she placed her feet on the cold floor. She was wearing a simple white night gown but her hair was in a nice braid.

Strange. She didn't remember ever changing into a gown, or putting her hair in such an intricate braid.

Something pulled her towards the door and she couldn't resist it. She opened it and was pulled to a door a few rooms down.

Deidre's hand knocked on it without her command. She began to panic. What was happening? Why was she feeling like this?

No, she thought. I always have felt like this.

The door opened and a man with dark hair was facing her. He had a white suit shirt on and was in the midst of untying his tie. "Iris I told you-" the man looked at Deidre.

"Molly?" He froze. "Molly? Is that really you?" He touched her shoulder, then her face. "Molly...I...I'm so sorry I didn't mean to kill you. I miss you so much and I just..."

The man hugged her tightly and didn't seem to want to let go.

She hugged him back. Something seemed to subconsciously tell her what to do.

"It's me. I need to ask you something." Deidre looked up at the man.

"Yes, that's fine. That's fine." He shut the door and sat down on the bed, taking her along with her wrist and waited for her to speak.

"Who's the Expired girl?"

His breath caught. "Iris? Why would you want to know about Iris?"

She looked in his eyes. "So there is an Expired girl?"

"Molly, you know I would've done everything in my power to save you. You know that, right?" He said desperately.

"Are there other secrets?" Deidre/Molly kept looking at his eyes. His eyes told of a broken story, a broken man.

"I can't tell you them." He whispered.

"Who would I tell? Nobody would believe me. I'd only be able to tell Simon-" she gasped. That's what she forgot.

"Molly?" The man seemed to shatter. "Molly, say my name." He seemed to be reduced to whispers.

"I-" Deidre choked. She was numb except for the pain she felt for this man she didn't know.

"Molly, please. Please just one more time."

She crashed. Her mind stopped working. The strings were cut.

The man slowly shook his head and laid it in his hands in despair. "I must be sleeping. I must have fallen asleep..." He murmured to himself.

Deidre stepped back and tripped over something, but she didn't give herself enough time to see what it was. She stumbled out the door and froze as she met eyes at the other end of the hallway.

The Preeminence. "Iris? Iris what are you-"

She snapped and ran but couldn't find the stairs down to Simon. She lost Simon.