Part Two

By the termination of her first month while convalescing at home, Jan was showing signs of an eventual full recovery. She also had to maintain the regime of physical therapy to bring her body back from the two months she was in a vegetative state. Her once trained and robust physique as a competitive skier would take considerable time to rejuvenate, her doctors told her parents and friends. What was worrying to them now was the emotional shock and depression she soon suffered after fully comprehending on her own what had truly happened to her through the accident. Yet this anguish did not compare to the deep sorrow she felt every day and night from the tragic loss of Tyler's life. He was, indeed, the first and only love she had ever had.

By late spring Jan had become more dependent on her close friends who came to visit her, still almost daily. They buoyed up her unpredictable moods and encouraged her to stay with the strengthening program of her young body. She also depended heavily on her social media accounts—particularly Twitter to which she now attended somewhat addictively.

While most of her contacts were acquaintances from school and people she had connected with through the world of downhill racing—ski resorts and contests in Colorado, Utah and Wyoming, there were others from the depths of cyberland she truly did not know. These were individuals whom she now engaged with, having begun with them at the beginnings of her long recovery. They were simply people who had, from the onset, encouraged her spirits to remain strong and offered her hope  on her road to full and active health again.

Of these "unkowns" as she called them, there were a total of eight who daily or weekly checked in on her. And of these, all but one were females. All women and girls who had an interest in her as a result of similar experiences themselves—namely their own hard fought return from a brain injury or an acute bout of amnesia.

But it was the one male "unknown" that she anticipated hearing from more strongly as time passed. @InfinateLove, as he called himself, had the potential to lift her spirits always with a little humorous story or a serious talk about art—something she loved. His comments and concern always beguiled her into more conversation, and before long, heartfelt goodbyes when late night came and Jan was simply too weak to stay awake. There was always something in the way @InfiniteLove expressed himself. Something in the way he always waited for her tweet back, to which he in turn would genuinely respond. An indication he truly cared in a mysterious and profound way.

It was during one of these long exchanges on Twitter during a rainstorm one evening that Jan  became suddenly stunned by the unknown writer's short expressive messages. He was describing to her sincerely in 120 character tweets a favorite place he told her he loved to visit. And that very place happened to be also remarkably special to her.

He told her of an exquisite little headland on the California coast, tucked away in the pristine Point Lobos State Reserve. He didn't need to tell her it was breathtakingly beautiful at sunset, for she knew just how striking China Cove was. For she had certainly been there. It was in fact the place during her senior year of high school, where, under a moonlit summer's night sky, she and Tyler had made love for the first time.

@InfiniteLove did not need to tell her how the huge surf off the shore there could lull one to sleep. For she had experienced it herself after a passionate night in a sleeping bag in Tyler's loving arms. The afterglow of a most memorable night of exhaustive pleasure. Where this distant messenger had described to her was the very place she had spent an entire night with the boy she loved. The writer of this series of tweets conveyed the heavenly location of China Cove so perfectly that it took Jan's breath away. And at the same time it brought back such powerful images of Tyler's playful smile and his warm embrace that she began to cry.

This would not be the first time @InfinteLove would leave Jan breathless or in tears by what he wrote in his series of short, anticipated messages. The coincidence of places and events to her own former life with Tyler were just too amazingly similar for her not to surmise or question the unthinkable. The absurd and deliciously impossible. For as time went on, Jan was left with no other rational explanation for these messages---echoing out across a universe where there is no distance. And from a location where there is no space.

* * *

Text and e-book copyright © 2015 Califia Montalvo

All Rights Reserved