Chapter 2.

Kai

"Are you really going to stay mad at me? I said I was sorry for leaving," I called, trailing after Greyson. He wasn't even waiting for me, his pace quickening as we headed toward the courtyard where the others were hanging out.

Last night, I'd asked my father if I could go for a lone run in the woods. A lone run means running solo—without your pack, your mate, or anyone else. Greyson's my companion, so I get why he's upset. But it wasn't just the woods. I ended up on the streets, where I didn't expect my wolf to lead me to *her*. I found myself on her porch, and to my surprise, she was outside. I think I wanted her to see my true form. At least by the end, she wasn't scared of me. Especially when she touched me.

What I didn't know was that Greyson had followed me and saw the whole thing. But that's not exactly why he's mad. There are hunters in town, and it's not safe to be out alone. If my father finds out, I'm in serious trouble—especially since we're already on lockdown for sneaking out. I can't risk that, not with the party coming up.

"Grey!"

He spun around, irritated. "What?"

"I said I was sorry," I whined. When Greyson's mad, he has this way of freezing you out completely. It makes you feel like you *have* to make it right.

"You don't get it, Kai. Last night was dangerous." His arms crossed over his chest, his expression hard.

"I do get it. But come on, Greyson—you know what it's like when you're mated. Except you don't know what it's like when only one of you knows you're mated."

He sighed, rubbing his temples. "I get it, Kai. I know your wolf craves her, but running off alone? On the streets? That's reckless. What if something happened to you? I can't lose you, man. None of us can. You're my best friend...and our future Alpha."

I dropped my gaze. Every time someone brought up that I was going to be Alpha, it felt like a weight pressing down on me. My father's been training me for it, but putting those lessons into practice? That's going to be a whole different challenge.

"Let's just forget about it, okay?" Greyson said, his tone softer now. "Just promise me you won't go off alone again."

"Fine. Whatever. I won't do it again," I muttered, brushing past him.

"There you guys are!" Marley called, flashing us a smile as we joined the group. I gave her a half-hearted smile in return and slouched onto a bench. Greyson just shrugged at his mate, sitting beside me.

The group fell into easy conversation until Archer piped up, "So, how are we sneaking out tonight?"

Stella giggled. "Oh, I've got a plan."

---

Avery

"I'm thinking about dyeing my hair brown," Daphne mused, sweeping her long blonde hair over her shoulder as we waited outside Quinn's French class.

"But blonde is your natural color," I said, glancing at her.

"I know, but I want something different," she shrugged.

I shook my head. Daphne was stunning with her long blonde hair. Compared to my golden curls, her hair was gorgeous.

"Maybe I'll get permanent curls?" she teased, twirling one of mine.

"These aren't even permanent," I protested, blinking at her.

She laughed just as Quinn appeared. "Thanks for waiting," Quinn said, joining us. I turned to her. "Please talk to her. She wants to dye her hair *or* get permanent curls."