Chapter 5.

"No one has been practicing, and next week you have to perform this in front of your classmates. Guys, this isn't how we do things," Miss Janet said, disappointment evident in her voice.

I had completely forgotten about the assignment. This was one of my favorite classes, and I had let it slip my mind. The last two days had been consumed by my time with the Lupus Moon pack. They were starting to warm up to me, and I to them. Quinn was also spending a lot of time with them, while Daphne remained aloof. Whenever I asked her why, she'd simply reply, "No reason" or "I just don't like them," which struck me as odd since she had once been the first to express her fondness for them. Everything felt like it was happening so fast, almost as if it were meant to be.

"I have been practicing," Madison chimed in proudly. I rolled my eyes. Nobody had asked her for an update. Couldn't she just keep quiet and act like one of the "no ones"?

"That's good, Madison. Now, for the rest of the class: practice, practice, practice!" The bell rang. "I'll see you all next week," Miss Janet said as everyone stood, packed their bags, and filed out of the classroom.

"And once again, she's gone," Quinn remarked as she joined me at my desk.

I sighed. "We should talk to her."

"Again," Stella chimed in, joining Quinn at my table. I shot her a look; she didn't understand. Daphne was our best friend, not hers.

"Stella, come on," Arabella interjected. "Sorry, but it's clear she doesn't like us. You can practically smell it." Stella shrugged, unfazed.

"Babe, Daphne matters to Avery and Quinn," Archer said, turning to his mate.

"Yeah, but—" Kai interrupted. "There really is no 'but.'" Stella let out a loud sigh.

"Quinn and I will meet you guys in the courtyard. We should at least try talking to her one more time," I said.

"Okay," Kai nodded, signaling his understanding.

We all exited the classroom and split up. Daphne would be in the cafeteria; she wasn't the type to hide. As we walked in, we spotted her immediately, sitting at a table surrounded by girls—some I recognized, others I didn't.

"Daphne, can we talk?" I asked. She looked up, pressing her lips together. When she saw we weren't backing down, she relented and followed us into the hallway. "My answer is still the same," she began.

"Daphne, you know this doesn't make sense," I pressed.

"They have no problem with you, you know," Quinn added.

"And I have no problem with them. I just don't want to hang out with them," Daphne shrugged.

"Why?" I asked again.

"Because," she replied, leaning against a locker.

"Because what? Is that really all you've got?" Quinn said, her annoyance palpable.

"Because they're taking you guys away from me. I don't like it," Daphne admitted, crossing her arms.

"They're not. We're still your friends—your best friends. Why would that change?" I shook my head.

"For people you just met, you're all awful close," she said.

"Daphne, don't be like that. There's no reason to feel left out. You belong with us," Quinn urged.

"Quinn is right," I added, smiling at her.

Daphne cracked a half-smile. "Okay. Forever best friends." We shared a group hug.