Chapter four

Chapter four - No bride.No pride

Antonio's POV

"Ey Toni ! nonno's in your office " Salvo entered the kitchen in his work out clothes, a water bottle in hand and white towel draped around his sweaty neck.

In shock i raise a brow and put my spoon back into the cereal bowl.

"Nonno's back from Italy?" i repeat in disbelief.My grandfather hadn't been in America since he gave his title as Don over to me.

"Yea' his in a serious mood too" Salvo confirmed,leaning against the counter his eyes roamed over Gina,our cooks ass. Yuck,she was as old as my grandmother

"Merda"(Shit)  i swore running a hand through my hair and stood up from the bar stool,i rushed to my office.

It's never wise to keep nonno waiting.

I open my office door scanning the room as i walked in. Nonno was standing with his hands behind his back staring out the large window that faced the circular driveway.

"Ah,Antonio my boy" my grandfather smiled walking over to me with his arms open wide.

A grin found its way onto my face. He looked much healthier than he did two months ago after the heart attack, my nonna must have been forcing him on a strict diet again.

"Nonno. I didn't know you were coming" He chuckled and pressed me into a tight warm hug,after releasing me he patted my cheeks with happiness.

"I thought i would surprise the family" he reclined onto the leather seat across from my desk.

"The boys are going to be happy when they hear you back" i sat in my usual seat behind my desk and took in his neat appearance,evens in the state of a heart attack the old mans hair had to be gelled to perfection in the same style i remembered since a boy.

I admired him.

"Yea' yea' " he wave his hand in the air chuckling.

"I came here to talk to you about the deal we had before you accepted the responsibility and title as Don. You know the rules as a mafioso and your almost due" his voice was full of concern and seriousness.

"I haven't forgotten,and i will hold onto my word as promised" I didn't want to be married but it was part of the rules in the mafia.We had to be married to be a leader,a man.

..and since i am one of the youngest men to become Don at 30 years old they had given me a year to find a bride but my nonno had given me over the title with his own terms..that i find a bride within three months or i'll have to marry a women of his choosing.

"Bene. I was making sure you hadn't become to comfortable with the title and forgotten our agreement" (bene- fine) His gold wedding band shined on his wrinkled hand,reminding me of the many anniversaries he and my nonna had celebrated.

I shook my head and offered him a Cuban cigar from the wooden box on my desk. He raised a brow and smirked taking one between his fingers.

I didn't doubt nonna had him stop smoking his cigars.

"How is nonna?" He lit up the cigar inhaling deeply with a smile at the mention of his wife before his white brows pulled together in a scowl.

"The women is stubborn as usual.She wouldn't let me touch my damn steak or Cubans." his head shook before he continued..

"This morning she gave me processed cabbage and apples. Che sapeva come il liquame"I laughed at this not able to hide my humour as my grandfather pulled a disgusted expression. (it tasted like the sewage)