Catching Up

Bradyn

"Brady, is that you?"

I looked across to the girl who ran into me. I came to the coffee shop to get out of the house for a few minutes. Of course, mom put up a fuss about letting me out of her sight and "disappearing" again. I convinced her to let me step outside for a minute to go to caffeine's, the best coffee house in the world. They make the best hot chocolate, which I came to buy and head over to the huge oak tree in the middle of the park. I didn't intend to literally run into my old best friend. I say old because she probably forgot all about me and found new friends.

"Thyst. It's really good to see you again." She looks the absolute same as when I left. I looked up to her blue eyes and I register shock and disbelief very prominent. I can't blame her. She must have very surprised to see me here.

"Bradyn, it looks like you really have changed." she said doubtfully as she took in my appearance. It's true. I constantly dye my long hair different colors and I developed a new style.

"It's all physical stuff, Thyst. I'm still the same on the inside." I tell her with sincerity. She flashes me her signature smile and I relax with relief.

"So, Brad. Are you going anywhere right now?"

"Um, yeah. I was gonna grab a hot chocolate and sit at the oak tree in the park."

she chuckles at me "You have an addiction to chocolate and you need serious help. And that's where I was going too. Do you wanna go together?"

"Yeah, that would be great actually. We can play catch up and see what's been going on for the last two years."

I paid for my drink and we walked down the street, joking around and laughing basically as if we had never been separated. Going to the park is always a good place. Most times, we are the only ones there but that only enhances the natural beauty without all the noise. Thyst sat at the base of tree while climbed the first branch and sat there, not too far above her.

The conversation died a little. She looked like she wanted to ask something, but she was holding back. I sighed.

"Thyst, I already know what you're going to ask. Just say it already." she looked apprehensive but continued on with her question.

"Brad, Where were you? What happened? How did you get back?" The day I showed, these were the repeated questions that I never answered.

"Two of your questions, I can't answer. But as for the " how did you get back here" I just walked into the police department and said " I'm Bradyn Masters" and the rest is history."

She laughed at me "That sounds like something you would do." I laughed along with her. It was getting to the middle of the afternoon.

"You should get going. You probably have plans with some friends of yours." I said.

She snorted. " That's funny. Me having friends. I didn't want any friends after you "died" No one could come close to how good of a best friend you were."

I have to be honest, hearing her say that made me feel good.

"So, you've turned into a hermit. Well, that's better than a hobbit."

"Of which I am neither. You really need to stop reading those dorky books." she laughed at me.

"Says the book worm."

It's good to see that nothing's changed in our quirky friendship. I don't know what I would do if she had forgotten me.

"Now, on to a serious subject. Are you gonna go back to school? If you don't want to, we'll both be homeschooled together."

I swear this girl has been looking for an excuse to get out of school since the day she stepped in it.

"No, I'm going back to school. My mother and I discussed that this morning. Or more correctly, my mother and stepfather discussed and decided on me going back to school. But I actually want to go back." I explained.

"Why? Why would you want to go back to the place where you were ridiculed? Made a joke of? There is nothing for you at school."

"I have you, hopefully. And to answer you questions, I'm going back because it's time for me to stand for myself to them. It's about getting the respect I deserve."

"Well, I guess it's to head back home. And I look forward to seeing you at school, Brad. I know that when you get determined to do something, it happens. Just don't take this too far." she warns. And she was off.

I jumped down from the branch and started up the avenue towards my house. As I walked in the door, my mother yelled

"YOUNG LADY, WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN?!?!?!" I think she might be a little angry.

"Relax mom. I went to the coffee shop and then Thyst ran into me and we've hanging out at the park." I explained.

"Well I guess that's okay. But you have to let me know where you're be instead of letting us worry our heads off." she said.

"Dinner is in the microwave, I made spaghetti and garlic bread. Be in bed by 11. We have to go school shopping in the morning."

Well that should be fun.

**************************************************************************

I think the song goes with the story plot.