Prologue

This book was inspired by SCREAM and PLL

Cheerleader Down – Prologue

August 13th, 2015

The smell of smoke and Alcohol filled the room. 

I actually did not want to be here but then again what choice did I have, Chloe forced me to come along. She was my best friend and according to her dictionary; best friends always go out together, even though one may have already sort of invited their boyfriend to tag along leaving her other friend technically alone... all night, fucking third wheeling. So how could I possibly disagree?

I scanned the dimly lit room, spotting Chloe with Ethan Woods. Her hands wrapped around his neck and his taking a hold of her waist as he pulled her into a heated kiss. I rolled my eyes at the two. They've been in and on-off relationship for two years now you know?

No, I did not stutter. It's been two years of toxicity yet they still couldn't keep their hands off each other.

Those two were the definition of cliché. Chloe was the popular cheerleader who was obviously dating the Jock, the star football player, some might even call him Havenbrooke High's finest. 

It made me gag... but Chloe was happy with Ethan.

I sighed, taking a sip of my drink. 

I guess you could probably tell this wasn't exactly my scene. Literally all my friends were wasted, the music in here was shit and I hated this club, which automatically meant that I was the only sober one and yet again, I was left with the job of making sure everyone got home safe and okay.

It's alright... go on, you can say it. I'm aware my friends are trash.

A vibration was felt in my pocket. Finally something to distract me, I thought. I slipped my hand into my back pocket, bringing out my phone. 

I read through an unbothered text from my mother, simply asking when I would be home. However, to me that was my one way ticket out of here.

I replied her.

Me: I'm already on my way back xx

Then made my way over to Chloe and Ethan. "Chloe I have to leave." I called to her over the loud music.

She got up and asked, "Really, you have to go now?" I nodded and she pouted her lips. "Please can we stay for a little while?"

I shrugged and shook my head. "No, my mom said I have to get home." 

I lied, but that's only because Chloe never argues when it comes to my mom. She has always had this admiration for my mom since we were kids. I guess kids find doctors fascinating; they save lives and wear weird coats, therefore my mom being a doctor equals Chloe's childhood hero. 

Accepting defeat she sighed, grabbing her purse in one hand and her boyfriend on the other, she called out to the rest of the gang and we left the club.

The night was finally over.

Ethan drove all the others home before dropping me off. When I got down from the car, I turned to both Chloe and him. "Are you sure, you both are going to be okay?" I asked.

Ethan nodded, letting out a laugh. "Yes, I didn't drink that much." I didn't believe him though and was deciding whether to get back in the car and drive them home myself.

"Gray." Chloe called. "We'll be fine, don't worry." She promised.

"Okay." I let it go. "Please be safe."

I stepped to the sidewalk as Ethan started the engine, it didn't take long before the car completely disappeared into the distance. I retrieved my key from my purse, walked into the comforts of my home heading straight for the fridge. After a quick snack and a few TV sitcoms episodes I went up to bed.

***

There was a strong knock on my door. I wasn't that deep a sleeper, so it didn't take much to wake me up so I opened my eyes to my parents entering my room.

I reached over to my lamp, turned it on and checked the time. It was 2:00 AM.

Dad had a frown on his face and Mom was sobbing. What could possibly be going on now, I thought. if they were arguing over something, I really didn't want to get involved.

  "Hey." I rasped, stretching and trying to wipe the sleep away from my eyes. I threw my legs over the edge of my mattress and approached them. I was at full attention now. "Mom, what's wrong?"

  "Gray, I-I..."she stuttered.

"Mom." I said grabbing her hands. I was getting scared a little. "What is it?"

  "It's... its Chloe, honey." Her voice was trembling and I could feel her hands shaking in mine. What was she trying to say? I was confused.

   "What about her?" I asked.

"Her parents... they uh called." My dad continued. "They found her in her room..."

  "Okay?" I frowned. I didn't understand and I was afraid that whatever they were trying to tell me about Chloe, I wouldn't like.

"Sweetie..." he drawled, as if he were looking for the right words to use. He finally said. "They found Chloe's corpse."

*************************************
Tolu.xx