1. What If I Loved You?

"I've heard stories where best friends fall in love. It's weird to think about, but it does happen apparently."

BEN, who thought about what Jeff had just said, paused his video game. He didn't want to lose the game from this distraction. "Really?"

Jeff was lying down on the bed, his legs crossed, and his arms over his head. His expression was neutral.  "Yeah, but it must be really awkward. I mean, imagine having to come out to your best friend... Especially if you are the same sex."

BEN felt heat on his face. He wasn't really blushing, but his face went red every time he looked at Jeff. Okay, maybe that was considered blushing. But not because he liked his Jeff or anything, it was just blushing of anxiety. Although, BEN still didn't want his best friend to think anything weird of it, so he turned his head back towards the TV screen.

"..." BEN didn't say anything. He un-paused his video game, and tried to concentrate on the little Mario character on the screen.

"I'm just mentioning it, since so many people 'ship' us. I bet I'm not the only one who has noticed it." Jeff waited for BEN to reply.

BEN didn't reply, so Jeff broke the adware silence. "Are you listening?"

"Huh? Oh, uh, yah. I don't get it. We're just best friends." BEN didn't take his eyes off the screen, the red orbs in them following Mario as it jumped around on the screen.

"And we are the same sex." Jeff munched on some popcorn that was in a bowl beside him. He watched his blonde haired friend play the video game.

BEN's concentration stopped for a moment. "So?"

"So what?" Jeff asked bluntly.

"You're not homophobic... Right?" BEN held his breath slightly.

"Ha, no, of course not. You know that. It's just weird that they would ship us
as a gay couple instead of, I dunno, Toby X Clockwork or somethin', as a straight couple." He took a handful of popcorn out of the bowl. "I dunno."

"Typical fangirls. It's all about the YAOI." BEN laughed, shrugging it off.

"I guess so." Jeff laughed with him.

A knock came the door.

"It's Slenderman. I want both of you in bed by eleven o'clock."

Jeff looked at the time. "Shit, it's ten thirty. That only gives us half an-"

"You will be up early tomorrow. You both have work to do. I will explain it in the morning- but it is very important."

Jeff started to complain. "I don't want to get up early-"

"You and your first world problems, Jeffrey. Goodnight. If you wake up early, you might be lucky enough to have time to eat breakfast."
With that, Slenderman walked back down the hallway.

"What if we did fall in love?" BEN asked without hesitation.

"Woah, that came out of nowhere." Jeff replied, a playful smile on his pale face.

BEN had just realized what he had said, but decided to try and not make things even more awkward, so he came back with "you started it."

"Well uh, I dunno." Jeff said. He looked like he was about to say something else, BEN decided, but he must have stopped himself.

Jeff locked eyes with his friend. "Why are you staring at me?" He threw a pillow at BEN, then laughed playfully.

"Because you were... Umm, about to say something." BEN tossed the pillow back at him.

"Oh, I was just going to say that I couldn't imagine dating you. The fangirls can suck my ass because I'm going to be single for until my smile heals." Jeff slowly traced his carved-in feature with his index finger, admiring his work from so long ago.

"I don't think that smile will heal any time soon, Jeff."

"Exactly." Once again, Jeff threw the pillow at BEN, along with a handful of popcorn.
"We've been friends for so long, that it would be awkward, wouldn't it?" Jeff stared directly at BEN.

"Yeah..." Was all BEN could reply with.