Chapter One: Coffee & Life

Jamaica squeezed her legs shut as she laid back on the table. She closed her eyes and forced herself not to scream out loud. It was cold and goose bumps began to form over her skin.

"Do you really have to do this?" Jamaica asked.

"Yes Jamaica. You ask me that every time you come to see me. This should be normal by now," Her doctor said.

"I know but I can't... I just can't!"

"What you need is a boyfriend and you would make my job so much easier," He raised an eyebrow at Jamaica, "spred'em."

Jamaica groaned, "And no, I don't need a boyfriend and I'm not looking for one." She twitched as the doctor removed his fingers.

"Well, I would advise you get on the baby train. As you know, PID affects the uterus." Jamaica sat up and looked at Doctor Ellis.

"What does that mean?" she asked.

"I just don't want you to miss the opportunity. I know how bad you wanted the first one."

"Thanks, Doc."

"Marsha will set you up for an appointment for next month."

Jamaica's phone began to ring as she was leaving the doctor's office.

"Hello?" she answered.

"Jamie! How was the vagina doctor?" Miriam asked on the line.

"Same as always," Jamaica said to her sister. She unlocked her car door and slid in. she placed her purse in the passenger seat and bluetoothed Miriam to the car speaker.

"Did he tell you that you needed a boyfriend?" Miriam asked.

"Every time."

"He's not lying, you know. You haven't had a boyfriend since..."

"Don't say it." Jamaica cut Miriam off.

"I was going to say high school but I'm glad you acknowledged the subject."

"Ha. Ha." Jamaica said sarcastically.

"Well, I will see you tonight. Oh and mom called."

"Which one?"

"Both of them."

"Well, I'm on my way to the store anyway. You talk to Matt?" Jamaica rolled her eyes.

"No," Miriam said, "but he will live."

"You know he is going to have a heart aneurism." Jamaica chuckled.

"Again, he will live."

"Love you."

" Love you too!"

Miriam hung up and Jamaica parked in the spot with her name on it. She owned a chain of stores called A Day and A Thousand Words. It was a chain of bookstores where local authors were allowed to broadcast their work and have books signings. Both of her mothers, Courtney and Julia, worked at her store. They were the life of the California branch. They kept it running. Jamaica was a smart woman with a creative mind. She had brown skin, brown eyes, and shoulder length, natural, kinky hair. She'd grown up with two families. Her father was a Mexican man married to a white woman. This left Jamaica spending half of her time with her African-American mother and siblings and the other half with her father, her stepmother, and her new found siblings. She had three sisters and three brothers. Miriam and her boyfriend, Matt, lived with her in her mini mansion, Khara was a senior in college on her way to the WNBA, and China, her baby sister, was a sophomore in college getting her degree in cosmetology. Khale, Jamaica's brother, was a NBA superstar. They were closer than they were as children but they still had their differences. Eric was her middle brother, who worked in gaming. He designed videogames. He was also engaged to be married that February. Jhonny was the baby at seventeen. He was a senior in high school. He was still problematic but at least he had his priorities in check. Jamaica walked into the store and dropped her purse on the counter. Her mother Julia sat behind the counter.