A New Friend

In the southern part of the world was Taborea, that is made up of two islands one large and the other a lot smaller. On the smallest island is where the elves lived, the island was made up of hills and trees. The Elven Island has a lot of wild creatures on it, such as iron tusk and silver tusk boars, dire wolves, sabre-tooth tigers, moss giants, stone golems, giant eagle, rainbow bird and Caribbean shark-tooth fish.   

My name is Zakatahl; I am the second son to the leader of the nature’s spirit clan of the elven kind. My dad hates me and will not allow me to join the clan, instead he wants me to stay home and clean up, get the house ready for him and my older brother to get back from the hunt, but today I had enough I went against his orders and left the house picking up the spare bow and arrows as I close the door behind me. I left the house behind me and headed towards the forest to start my first day of hunting, after fifteen minutes of trudging through the forest I came across a iron tusk boar, I pulled out an arrow attaching it to the string I pulled it back, taking aim I breathed slowly, then I let go of the string letting the arrow fly through the air and into the boars side, penetrating through the skin and piercing the heart. The boar ran around in circles for a minute then hit the ground dead “YAY” I shouted, overwhelmed with my first kill I tied rope around the boars legs and lifted him up and over my shoulders. As I headed back to the house I noticed a colourful object flying past not too far from the exit of the forest, so I decided to hunt the thing down before heading back home. As I got closer to the exit I saw the thing, it was a rainbow bird, every elf knows that the rainbow bird is a real delicacy, they are extremely rare to come across and hard to take down, they are ferocious and very fast and that is what makes them so dangerous. “if there is a way to get respect that I deserve from my dad, taking down the rainbow bird is they way to do it” I said to myself, I dropped the boar on the ground took out an arrow, raising the bow I pulled back the string and aimed it at the bird. The bird noticed it was being watched, it cocked it’s head up and looked around the meadow trying to find where I was hiding, I took a deep breath in and let go of the arrow, the bird moved just in time to dodge the arrow, it expanded his wings and flew straight for me, claws extended in front ready to rip me to pieces, I moved to the side trying to dodge the sharp claws but I didn’t move fast enough, the claws ripped into my right arm and lifting me up off the ground, it dragged me back and forth before dropping me in the middle of meadow. The bird finally let go of me I tried to roll and evade his beak but was stopped by his foot, he placed his foot one on each of my arms and raising his head ready to strike me. The bird was just about to strike when a dire wolf jumped out of the forest and knocked the bird off my chest, the wolf repeatedly clawed at the bird tearing his feathers and skin, finally the bird broke free grabbing the wolf by his neck he lifted him up and slammed him into the ground, I laid there on the ground watching the two of the most fierce creatures in the elven lands attacking each other. As the bird was ready to rip the wolf to pieces, the wolf looked at me with his puppy dog eyes, and for a second I thought I heard the wolf say “help me”, without a second thought I pulled out my hunters knife and charged at the bird, knife in one hand and the birds beak in the other I cut the birds head off. I took the bird off of the dire wolf and tied the last bit of rope around the birds legs, slinging both the bird and the boar over my shoulders, I gave the head of the bird to the wolf “here this is for you, thank you for saving me” I said “no problem” the wolf responded. I was shocked “how is it that I can understand you, and you can understand me?” I asked him, the wolf looked at me, a look that showed that he too was amazed that we can speak to each other.

“I dunno, guess we were made for each other” “can I be your pet?” he asked

“Sure, what’s your name?”

“Lyali” “my name is Lyali”

“Hi Lyali, my name is Zakatahl”

When I got home I placed the dead boar and bird on the table and cleaned up the rest of the house. An hour later my dad Trabael and my brother Kortashe arrived home, and with them an iron tusk boar and silver tusk boar. When they got into the kitchen they saw the boar and bird that I had caught earlier on.

“ZAKATAHL” he yelled out

“What is it?”

“What exactly is a boar doing on my kitchen table?”

“It’s what I caught today” I replied as I entered the room

“And what is this?”

“That is a rainbow bird”

“And how exactly did you manage to catch a rainbow bird?”

“With the help of my friend here”

To my dad’s surprise, beside me stood the dire wolf that had rescued me and helped caught the rainbow bird.