Chapter 13

I woke up in the comfy chair, super content. I finished off my semi-cold tea I was drinking before I fell asleep. My book fell off my lap, losing the page. Damn.

I stand up and stretch, seeing that it was dark outside and the stars were showing through the huge skylight. I would have to ask Luke how there could be sun down here when we were in the Underworld.

"Chaaaarlie,"  a hushed voice came from behind me. I spun around, looking for the source.

"Luke?" I whimpered. 

"Charlieeee," it came again.

"Luke, this isn't funny. Cut it out." I turned again to see no one there. It had to be Luke playing a trick on me. He was so dead.

***

I fought through the rope that binded me, trying to get to Charlie. Macayah had tied me up (how I have no idea, I blacked out) and disappeared. I was sure he had gone after Charlie. The rope was made of magic and power I couldn't escape. Finally, after struggling as hard as I could, the rope broke. I ran as fast as I could out of the office.

***

"Luke?" I asked the darkness. I had to have been Luke. I walked in the room and the door slammed behind me.

"Very funny, Luke." I stuttered, nervous this time.

"Oh sweetheart, Luke isn't here." Came a chilling voice.

"Luke, cut it out." I yelled. I felt hands grip my shoulders and I screamed. Blue light shot out from every pore in my body.

***

As I was outside the door of my apartment, I heard Charlie scream. I ran inside as fast as I could, immediately to the library. The doors were locked. 

I banged my fist on the door and screamed at her. "Charlie, let me in!"

There was blue light coming from under the door frame. I continued to bang and try to break down the door until the blue light went off. The door unlocked and I rushed inside to find Charlie lying on the floor. I knelt beside her and scooped her into my arm.

"Charlie, baby, please wake up." I pleaded as tears streamed down my face.  I pushed her hair from her face, gently holding her face. My entire body shook. What happened to someone who was dead and died again? I didn't know but it terrified me.

"Luke? Is that you?" Charlie groaned.

"Yes baby, it is." I said, relief flooding me. I tightened my hold on her, hiding my face in her hair.

"It was Macayah." Charlie sputtered. "And he took the picture next to your bed. He was holding it."

I stiffened and stood up, helping Charlie up. "Come on, we have to go."

"Where?" She asked.

"To find Kate. Macayah has gone after her."