Chapter 16

I woke up in a cold, metal cage having no idea where I was. My head killed and the room that the cage was in was pitch black. I sat up, rubbing my temples to try to calm some of the pounding.

"Hello?" I whispered into the darkness. Nothing but my own echo responded. I stood up and walked the perimeter of the cage, trying to see if I could find an opening or something. Nada. My vision swam as I finally stumbled to the cage's bars and looked out into the darkness. I was hoping that maybe since my vision had adjusted to the dark, I could see past my cage. I couldn't see anything and I slid to the floor, my head hurting too much to bear.

"Lucifer." I whispered, clutching my chest. I was really tired, too tired to bear it. Maybe if I closed my eyes, just for a minute...

***

"What can happen to her?" I demanded, running my hands through my hair. God and I were discussing tactics on getting into Macayah's lair. "I mean, she's already dead."

God glanced at me and I knew I was not going to like what he had to say. "He can use her spirit form for power. He'll most likely wait until the Summer Equinox."

"How can he use her for power?" I questioned feeling my face pale.

"He sucks the energy from her spirit form until she is nothing," God sighed. I nodded, calming myself by taking a deep breath. "She'll be okay, Lucifer," God assured me, patting my shoulder gently. I felt a sense of calm come over me and I knew it was him calming me down.

"Can't you do something? I mean, you're God!" I said, frustrated.

"Lucifer, you know I can't. That's not how my power works. My powers are useless in this situation, especially dealing with Charlie who has the capability of killing me."

"So, what do we do?" I asked.

"Well, you can't do this alone. Where Macayah is keeping Charlie is not an easy place to get in or out of."

"Who would help?"

"I have some angels who have volunteered," God coughed, hiding a smirk behind his hand. Oh, great. Like I needed anymore 'divine intervention'.

"Shit. Who?" I sighed, once again, backed into a corner.

"'Sup lil' bro?" I heard a familiar angelic voice say from behind me.

God, help me.