Chapter 10: Road Trip

10

 Joseph sat in the passenger side of the car. It was a slick BMW, black with tinted windows. The back had some luggage- clothing and such- as well as money and a gun. The firearm was just in case of robbery. 

Like a demon would get robbed.

Nevertheless, they included it, giving Joseph an uneasy feeling that there was going to be much worse than just muggers out there.

He felt numb. Joseph didn't really understand what was going on, which scared him. 

Looking out the window into the hot desert heat, Joseph saw the afrit moving towards the car, twirling the keys around his finger.

Smirking, Aziz got into the car. "Just you and me now, eh?" 

Joseph looked at him blankly, then turned towards the window, shivering despite the heat. Aziz didn't push the small talk any further, but instead turned up the air conditioner and started the car. 

They began moving down the lone service road leaving the Ground Floor, and from there got onto a dusty road heading Northwest. After a while, Aziz popped a CD into the player, thankfully breaking the silence with metal and breakdowns. Joseph just looked out the window, curled up into himself.

He couldn't handle it. Joseph had been out cold for over a month, what would his friends think?! And then Joseph was so stupid and drugged that he agreed to go with one of the Company's men. The same Company that had wronged him in the first place, keeping him in the dark and sedated... 

What the fuck is wrong with me?

Joseph sighed. Shit. And to top it all off, if the Supervisor was telling the truth, then some alien- no, wait, god- had a not-so-innocent interest in him.

Well the god was hot... 

No wait what? No I'm not going to sink to that level. Ugh narkotikas ir ieskrūvē manu prātu.

Joseph rubbed his eyes. He was tired. He felt weak. Tóso polý adýnamo ...

He looked out the window, watching the bland desert landscape fly by. Before he knew it, Joseph was out cold.

*                         *                           *

Joseph awoke to being violently shaken. 

"Get up. This is our stop for the night." The afrit, Aziz, said coldly.

Joseph sat up and looked around. They were stopped at a cheap motel. It was nighttime, and the once vibrant florescent bulbs fixed to the front of the building were now flickering on and off.

Aziz was busy pulling luggage out of the trunk, moving them towards the farthest room from the check-in station. Adjacent to the motel was a coffee shop and gas station. Besides for that, there was only open road and desert. 

"Where the hell are we?" Joseph muttered, rubbing his eyes. 

Aziz smirked again. "We're not in Kansas anymore, Dorthy."

Damn his smirks are getting annoying, thought Joseph as he shot a glare towards the afrit. He was rewarded with laughter. Joseph gave up being pissed, and instead followed Aziz into their room. 

The room was small, containing a bed, coach, old TV set from the 80's and a dresser. The bathroom that was adjacent was equipped with a toilet and shower, thankfully, but not much else. The purple wallpaper, which probably dated back to the '50's, was faded and pealing.