Chapter 12: Nightmares

Sorry guys for the crazy late update! I swear to god I'm still working on this story, I've just been having personal issues which have resulted in a stop in writing. But don't worry, I'm back on it so yay :D ENJOY                                

                                                                               12

Hallman woke to a scurrying sound. He sat up, turning on his bedside lamp.

 The room was empty. As it should be.

Must've just been an animal at the door.

On the second floor?

Hallman shook his head. It didn't matter. He turned over in bed, first turning off the light.

But no more than a minute later, and there it was again, that faint scratching sound...

Hallman sat up, quicker this time, about to turn on the light. Before he could, though, Hallman felt strong hands gripping him.

More hands came out of the darkness, rotting bits and pieces of putrid meat sliding off the bones and onto Hallman. They began clawing and tearing everywhere, broken nails digging into the man's soft flesh.

Hallman tried to scream, but found that the air only escaping through a hole in his neck where his vocal cords should've been.

The hands were getting more violent, pulling off bits and pieces, making Hallman see blotches through the pain. 

He heard an unpleasant ripping sound, then felt his lungs stop.

Idly, as if in a dream, Hallman looked up to see a body with no head holding something mushy and twitching, dripping blood.

With a distant pang of horror, Hallman recognized the organ as a heart.

But then all too soon, nothing matter, and a veil of darkness descended, covering the old man.

*                                        *                                        *

Joseph felt himself finally relaxing. He let the warm water flow over him, taking with it all the dirt and grim and bad memories of the last few days.

With a final sigh of content, Joseph reluctantly turned off the water. He toweled off quickly and slipped into boxers, a pair of old sweats and an oversized tee. 

As he was brushing his teeth, Joseph heard the door slam shut. Aziz must be back. 

"Hey Aziz... we're going to need more shampoo soon!" Joseph shouted through the closed door.

When he didn’t get a reply, the linguist frowned. He spit into the sink and washed off his toothbrush. Then Joseph went to the bathroom door, pulling it open.

The room beyond was empty.

Nothing moved, save for a slight stirring at the edge of the curtains.

Must just be a vent near it… Thought Joseph.

He could’ve sworn he’d heard the door, though… Joseph shrugged to himself, pushing the nagging feeling at the back of his mind away.

Joseph moved towards the bed, then got on, cocooning himself in blankets.

The room seemed to have gotten cold. It was probably just cold in relation to Joseph’s steamy shower.

Laying in bed, Joseph debated whether or not to turn off the light before Aziz got back. Finally the linguist decided that the demon could find his way in the dark, and quickly clicked the lamp off.