Chapter 3: The Council

3

 Elizah came to a halt in front of a door that was identical to all of the other doors. She pressed her thumb into the identification slot to the side of the door, and after a brief moment, heard the satisfying beep that meant that they were granted entry. The door slid aside smoothly, revealing a room with a table, two chairs and a wall-sized mirror. Everything was white.

The only truly interesting aspect of the room was that one of the chairs was occupied.

The occupant appeared to be a man. He was tall, well built and young. His eyes were a captivating shade of deep golden yellow with the pupil resembling that of a cat, while his hair was a pale shade of gold. The man's skin appeared to have a faint line of symbols all over it, no more than a shade darker than his base skin tone.

He was probably pushing 6'3", though Joseph couldn't be certain, due to the fact that the man was currently strapped into the chair across from the door.

Elizah gave a curt nod. "There he is. We haven't gotten anything out of him, but from the initial inspection we were able to deduce that his race's evolutionary development was so remarkably similar to our own that he almost undoubtedly has vocal cords and whatnot."

Elizah then turned to face Joseph. "So all you need to do is get him to talk." Joseph nodded, uncertain about the whole situation.

"Well, if you need anything the guards will be right outside the door. If everything goes according to plan, then you'll be retrieved in about three hours."

Joseph shook his head "Wait what? I didn't bring anything to start the, er, interview or anyth-"

"This is just the initial meeting, we aren't expecting you to make any magnificent breakthroughs today," Elizah held out an ipad, "But if you do find something worthy of documenting, just use the ipad or mark the time for the tape recorder."

With that, Elizah left the room, leaving Joseph alone with the man.

The man's golden eyes never left Joseph, but instead silently followed him as he made his way across the room. 

Joseph sat down, uncomfortable under such a burning glare. Clearing his throat, Joseph readjusted his position and opened up a new page on the Ipad. Finally, he met the gaze from across the table, immediately resisting the urge to flinch.

This is awkward.... Okay I just need to set a friendly tone... Just get him talking so I can used the material to work with later on.... Joseph thought. I guess I should start with names.

He gestured towards himself, "Joseph."

The eyes never faltered, the subject remaining unresponsive.

Shit.

This is going to be a long 3 hours...

                                                       *               *                *

Joseph laid in his bed. He had exhausted all the possibilities he could think of while trying to get, er, the alien to talk to him.

Nothing had worked.

It had just stared at Joseph the whole time with it's level gaze, the golden eyes taking in everything, but never giving any sign of even hearing him. Maybe it can't even hear...

Frustrated, Joseph ran his hands through his hair. "Fuck..." He muttered.

Joseph then made his way to the bathroom, deciding a long hot shower would clear his mind, but no matter how hard he tried, he just couldn't shake the image of those two golden orbs.