(21)

They told me today that their little bird needed to behave because today was the day.

I don't know what 'the day' means but everybody is excited and it all comes down to me.

They dressed me in clothes, they say I should look nice. My hair is brushed, pulled back in a bow and I have make up on my cheeks. 

For once my head is clear and it's not a feeling I welcome. They say they want to see the process from the beginning. 

I can't wait until I float again. 

Then I will be calm. I will be collected. I will be alright.

<><><><>

I blink, trying to make myself stay awake. You would think lunch would be the time you're alert in school, but my sleep pattern is all out of whack.

"Eva?" I snap back into reality, trying to pay attention to Alison.

"What?" 

"I said, what should I do?" She asks. All the boys were at a meeting about all of their sport training, so it's just me and Alison's friends.

"Stuff them." Sandy says angrily. "You can date who you want without their opinion."

"And it's not like the rumours are true." I say, feeling like I should contribute something. "David is the nicest guy, you know that."

For the past couple of days some pretty out there rumours have been spread, all about David. Apparently he steals and starts fights in the next town over. Before Emily and Keith took him in, he used to live there, and I think he was a bit like that. But he's not anymore. 

"I know." She smiles. "I was never going to end it, we love each other, we know each other's secrets. I meant about the rumours. He's not admitting it, but I know that it hurts him. It's who he was, not who he is."

"How did anyone even find out about it?" I ask. "The Samuels don't seem to be the kind of people to gossip like that. Especially about their own kids."

"The Dennings have family in the next town over. Noah and Harriet especially spend time up there." Sandy says.

"Word gets around." Riley snorts. "This town is just one big rumour mill, they feed off it."

"No guessing needed to figure out who started it." Alison says softly, looking towards Harriets table, flocked with her usual bunch of blondes.

"The Dennings just want Keith and Emily to look bad." Sandy says firmly. "They think public opinion helps them to get what they want."

"Don't let them get to you." I tell her. "It's what Harriet wants." It's true. All through lunch she's been sending us smug looks, as if she's happy with the mess she created."

"I guess." She sighs, playing with her food. 

"You going to eat that?" Ollie asks, sliding into the seat next to her. She slides her tray towards him, smiling. 

"Where are the others?" She asks. 

"They're coming." He says, mouth full. I see a large crowd of guys entering the cafeteria. I see Harriet make a beeline for them, and I snort. Obvious much?

"Hey." Isaac says, sitting at our table.

"Where's David?" Alison asks. Isaac freezes, frowning slightly.

"What?" Alison asks, defeated.

"He went home early." Isaac shrugs slightly. "Couldn't take it."