Chapter five; smoke and fire

Bea

We had been traveling for quite some before slowly being able to settle again. The heavens above irradiated a beautiful amber light that calmed us all down a bit and gave us something to cherish. Clouds, snow and rainfall was the only weather we had gotten used to on our journey. If I was correct, we would be heading in the right direction before nightfall, hopefully finding the uncharted-small village Meera had informed us about. Mostly Capitol venders resided there when their assistance wasn't needed elsewhere. Jojen and I took it upon ourselves to gather up wood and supplies to set up our shelter for the night, while Meera, Hodor and Brandon were out hunting. Osha wasn't quite too happy with me spending as much time with Jojen as I did, she did not truly trust them as much as she claimed she did. I did not argue, the Reed siblings indeed were rather strange.

I felt unusually uncomfortable with the idea of me interacting with Jojen the same way I had with Theon. Theon was the first real boy who dared to take a liking into a girl like me. Everybody else was too harshly intimidated by my father. But Jojen dampened my mood and flushed my cheeks red, he was not like other boys, he was true and honest. Also I could not shake what he had took me before.

Sundown came quick upon the moors of Hornswood. Night slowly made itself known by trickling down stars in the heavens above. We remained disheveled as we trudged through the barren land that lead us to the next merchants town.
Our spirits were angered, and truly felt as if they were on the brink of collapse. Had it not been for my dear brothers that kept me going, I would have let go of the small, mangled speck of hope that fueled my heart.

Jojen quietly sat beside me while we waited for Hodor and Meera to return with provisions. His features appeared more sallow and sunken in than before, he too was haggard from the journey.

Osha made us a fire while Rickon played with sticks in the mud. Silence surrounded the camp and a swift chill ran through my spine.

"Lady Beatrice, would you like to walk with me to retrieve more wood?" Asked Jojen, addressing me accordingly.

"Why certainly," I exclaimed.

Osha's eyes averted their attention from the fire to Jojen and I, I could feel she was not pleased.

"Don't be long," she said, hesitation staining her voice.

Jojen and I walked through the woods at a steady pace, making sure we would not waste precious time conversing. My dress had been hideously torn and my legs were covered in scrapes. Suddenly Jojen stood at a halt, turning towards me with fear in his eyes. His body began to shake and his eyes grew larger. I ran towards him as fast as I could, he fell in my arms and spoke strange words I had never heard.

"Jojen! Look at me Jojen, you must look at me!" I screamed loudly. It was not until I placed my hand on his forehead that he felt at ease. I caressed his face and he slowly opened his eyes and looked up at me.

"Jojen? Was it a vision you had?" I asked as he sat up. He shook his head rigorously.

"Please tell me Jojen, are we in danger?" I persisted.
Again he shook his head, staying silent while doing so. He laid his hand on my cheek, staring daggers at me. Worry stained his expression as he attempted to speak.

"You will make it," is all that came out of his mouth.
I was taken aback as he leaned in closer, my heart pounding as he did so.

"You will all make it," he said again, a tear forming in his eye. At that Instant he kissed me, so tenderly that I began to melt in his arms. For a moment, all our worries faded into happiness. For a moment we were no longer a noble lady and a clairvoyant, we were a boy and a girl. That is until we heard a scream.