4

a/n:  hey everybody I left this out of the teaser last update but here's the teaser this chapter. PS my favorite thing to do is read the funny comments you guys leave throughout the chapter so comment away!

teaser: Kendall and Noah get in a bit of big trouble, and we find out a lot more of what happened that night to Kendall.

•the calm•

4

Kendall Vertes

"You all set?" Chase smiled at me through the window of his truck.

I pulled my duffel bag up further on my shoulder to keep all my swim stuff from falling out. I hadn't changed yet, but I figured I could quickly get ready in the back while Chase drove. I threw my duffel bag in the front seat and offered up a nod to answer his question. I grabbed my change of clothes out of the bag and motioned towards the backseat. "I'm running late. Can I get changed in the back?"

Chase nodded and placed the key in the ignition. He started up the engine as I hopped into the back seat and shut the door behind me. I shimmied my pants off and turned to face the back as Chase looked down towards his phone, then began driving. My swimsuit was pretty much dry, considering we spent the last 40 minutes of practice listening to coach Haley discussing the freshmen trying out for the varsity team in the fall. Instead of stripping in the back of Chase's car, I pulled a pair of jeans out of my bag and slipped them on over my suit. Luckily, I had brought a longer shirt so it would cover the swimsuit line.

When I finished pulling the shirt over my head, I crawled into the front seat and smiled at my best friend, plugging in my music. Chase rolled his eyes teasingly, "Why not just have Noah take you if you want to choose such a shitty song?"

"Because he's annoying," I ignored Chase's comment about my music, "And kind of a douche."

Once again, Chase Morris rolled his eyes. After a few moments of settling silence, he handed me the aux cord. "You seem awfully calm."

"I had a good practice." I lied, hoping Chase wouldn't see through it. I needed to ask a favor of him and seeing that we had already finished our cooling off period, I assumed this car ride was a safer time as any.

"Liar!" He called out.

Dammit.

"You hate the practices with the new try-outs." He exclaimed, proud at how well he had caught me.

Here's my advice, ladies and gentlemen. If you want to sneak a lie passed your best friend, don't, because you will get caught.

"If it wasn't a good practice then-" He froze mid-sentence. A smile formed across his lips as he quickly caught up with his suspicions. "Are you, Kendall K Vertes? Preparing to suck up to me?"

Please. Subdue your flattery.

"Ineedafawr." I mumbled.

Chase leaned over, pressing his ear beside my face. "What was that?"

"I need a fawer..." I dropped off.

"One more time?" Chase pressed on. He was enjoying this moment way too much for my liking.

I groaned, "I need a favor!"

"Well, since you asked so forwardly.."

Ha.Ha. We get it. You're sarcastic.

"What can I do for you?" Chase made a sharp turn into the neighborhood, causing me to grip onto the passenger handle.

I sighed, regaining composure. "My dad is going out for drinks with Noah's parents and I need somebody to stay with me."