Chapter Seventeen

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

Finally

Finally, they were husband and wife. All the guests applauded them as they shared their first kiss as a married couple. 

They posted for several photos – with Jed’s family, with Pia’s family, with the principal sponsors, with the groomsman and bridesmaids, with the bearers and flower girls, and by themselves. 

It was made known to the rest of the guests who attended the wedding that Patricia Isabella Amanda Domingo-Yñiguez was the long lost member of the rich and powerful Domingo Clan of the province of Kebu. 

When the dinner and the mini program ended, Jed and Pia had their first dance as a married couple. They danced to the tune of ‘It’s Your Love’ popularized by Tim McGraw and Faith Hill. The two of the country’s leading singers were also singing live as well for their wedding reception.

Then, Pia got to the dance with the traditional father-and-daughter dance with her Lolo. Don Anacleto specifically requested the emcee for such. 

Don Anacleto hugged her tightly when they reached the dance floor. They danced to the tune of ‘What a Wonderful World’ popularized by Louis Armstrong. She hugged him too as if she was hugging her father. Her chin rested on his Lolo’s right shoulder. 

Don Anacleto talked, “I had been so haughty. My stubbornness had caused your grandparents’ lives as well as your parents’. My family all left me for you. It made me realize what a fool I had become. Thank you for your forgiveness, apo.” 

Pia comforted her grandfather, “It’s all in the past now, Lolo. We cannot take back the hands of time anymore but we have the future ahead of us. Papa and Mama never resented you. We struggled in life but they provided me so much love…a love enough to love, enough to forgive, enough to accept.” 

His grandfather stated, “I’m very proud of what you have become. Alberto and Amanda had raised you well.” 

“I was the product of their genuine love for one another. You may have not understood them in the past but now I know that you do,” she replied. 

“I want them to rest back in Kebu where they belong. I would make arrangements for the transfer of their remains to Domingo Mausoleum. I want them back,” her grandfather notified her. 

“Okay, Lolo,” she agreed. 

“I also want you and Jed to stay with us for awhile in Kebu,” her grandfather requested. 

She answered, “I’ll let Jed know, Lolo. I am sure he would agree.” 

“He loves you very much,” her grandfather voiced out. 

She replied, “I love him very much as well, Lolo.” 

When the music ended, it was her Tito Alfonso who danced next with her. 

He hugged her tightly like a real father to a daughter, “It took us more than twenty years to stand up for you. I’m sorry. When we found from Jed what really happened to you after your parents’ death, we felt ashamed of ourselves. We are not worthy just to enter in your life as if nothing happened.” 

She confessed, “I know of the past but not everything and not everyone. My parents never knew that I knew their secret. I never met anyone of you. I also didn’t bother to reach out to anyone of you because I know that Papa was disowned for marrying Mama. I tried to survive alone after their death but circumstances hadn’t been too good for me until Jed came my way.”