Chapter Eight

CHAPTER EIGHT

The Wedding Preparations

March 27, 2010, Saturday, Ayen was alone in the house. Her parents went out to attend a funeral service. Chloe and Jenna were both in Vienburg for their early break from work. They were work-free for the holidays. Myrna was also work-free for the holidays. Simon was out for the tune-up of the new luxury SUV Rob provided for her after the accident. 

Rob arrived at the Foz Residence around two in the afternoon. His temperature was so high. Crispin helped her bring Rob to her bedroom. 

She checked his temperature orally with a thermometer. His temperature was 38.2 °C. She gave him a tablet of acetaminophen. Removed his upper clothes and changed him into a much comfortable shirt. He removed his pants and changed him into one of his comfortable track pants which he usually wore when sleeping in Angelo. She sponge bathed his forehead, arms and legs with lukewarm water. He covered him with a light blanket. When he fell asleep after the sponge bath, she cooked chicken soup for him. 

She returned to their room after thirty minutes holding a tray with a pitcher of water and a bowl of chicken soup. 

He was already awake. She sat on the edge of the bed and felt his forehead, “Do you feel better now, honey?” 

“My throat aches,” he said with a throaty voice. 

She said, “I prepared chicken soup for you. I also brought water. Are you thirsty?” 

Rob held her hands, kissed them, smiled and asked, “How did you know how to take care of a feverish man?” 

She answered, “I called my heart surgeon cousin from Australia. I panicked. No one is here. Crispin didn’t know what to do. He said you don’t want to go to hospital. I don’t want to worry your family and mine so I phoned him and he told me what to do. He was a nurse before he became a doctor then a heart surgeon. You’ll meet him a week before the wedding. He promised me he’ll go home for my wedding. He is my best friend. And Lindsay, his wife, is my maid of honor.” 

He sat down and leaned on the headboard of the bed. “You’re a very great nurse.” 

She started feeding him with the chicken soup. She also let him drink water. She checked his temperature again. His fever went down already to 37.8 °C. She got lukewarm water from the bathroom and sponge bathed his forehead, arms and legs again. She also got him a fresh shirt for him to change the one soaked with sweat. She let him take another tablet of acetaminophen. 

Her parents and Simon arrived. After checking on Rob, they left them in the bedroom. 

“I bought something for you during my trip,” Rob told her.  He reached for his laptop bag which was on the side table. 

“Not again,” was her reply. 

He brought out a big black velvet box of jewelry. When he opened it before her eyes a complete set of jewelry made of gold and cream round South Sea natural pearls. It consisted of a pair of drop earrings, a pair of stud earrings, a 10-inch pearl collar, a 14-in pearl choker, a 45-inch pearl rope, a double-strand bracelet, a watch with double strand pearl strap, and a ring. 

She reprimanded him, “Rob, why do you keep on buying me expensive jewelry?” 

“You perfectly know my reason, honey,” he replied. “You’ll need them in the future.” 

“This is already the fifth set, I think they are enough,” she said. 

“Let me buy you five more sets then I’ll stop. I already ordered a Chanel yellow gold jewelry set, a Bvlgari yellow gold and multi-colored gem jewelry set,   a Cartier jewelry set, a Tiffany and Co. jewelry set, and Harry Winston jewelry set. I also ordered several earrings, wristwatches and brooches from these brands.”