CHAPTER FIVE

As our stop came into view, I poked Jason's shoulder. He lifted his head slowly and looked out the window.

"Oh," he simply said and grabbed his backpack straps.

I didn't say anything and followed him off the bus.

"Can I please know?" I reached for Jason's hand and he moved it away.

"No. It's nothing."

"You have a swollen cheek, like someone hit you. That isn't nothing," I persisted.

"Fine. Do you really want to know?!" he turned to me angrily.

"Yes! That's what I've been saying!" I stopped walking and grabbed his wrist.

"It's confusing, but basically what happened was, I got framed." He didn't continue.

"Elaborate?!" I was getting agitated that he was stalling.

"Y'know that girl Layla?" He looked at his feet.

"Yeah," I said, already mad about what he was possibly going to say.

Layla is the most popular girl at our school. She could get ANY guy she wants. And she of course wants my Jason. She's been jealous of whatever I had since kindergarten.

Whenever she's around Jason, she pretends she doesn't know I exist. She flirts with Jason and always offers him "favors" and is trying to get Jason away from me.

"Keep going..." I had a few ideas of what happened running through my head.

"Well, she got a few of her friends to hold me down aaaand...." His face got red.

"Did she...?!" I was speechless.

"She only got my shirt off before Jake came. Then he started to beat the shit out of me. I got away though. He only managed his punch me in the face and kick me in the gut a few times." He rubbed his stomach.

I reached for the bottom of his shirt and lifted it. His stomach had already turned a deep purple.

"I'm calling the police." I took out my phone.

"No," Jason said, snatching my phone and locking it. He held it above his head, high in the air.

"What the hell?! Jason, give me my phone!" I reached up and tried to grab my phone.

"No," he said again. I was on my tippy toes and could barely touch the phone.

I backed off and crossed my arms. "Why."

"The cops don't need to get involved. Plus, I'm leaving."

My mouth opened and I stood there, speechless.

"As soon as I'm 18, I'm leaving this shithole of a city." He looked around.

"But-" I was cut off.

"And you're coming with." He dropped his arm and hugged me. I was still speechless. I slowly wrapped my arms around him.