Chapter 2: The real beginning

Chapter 2: The Real Beginning.

'I'm in your calculus class,' he stated. 'You're kind of bad at it.'

'Uh,' I blushed furiously, mortified.

'Yeah, Kramer asked me to pair up with you last semester, but I fucking forgot. Sorry.'

'Okay,' was all that scratched through my dry throat.

'Yeah, I'm supposed to help you out.' He laughed. 'Maybe you'll become a calculus prodigy too.'

'Hmm,' I nodded staring at the ground.

'Hey,' he placed his hand on my shoulder and my legs became very very impaired. My face flushed. 'Are you okay? Cause if you're gonna vomit, this is a lucky-ish t-shirt. I don't want any more color on it, you know?'

I shook my head vigorously. 'Yeah, I'm fine..I... I just need a drink of water. I'll be alright.'

'Stay cool,' he squeezed my shoulder. 'I'll get it for you, Sandy.'

'Uh,' I grunted, sounding like something was dying in my throat. 'My name's not Sandy.'

'Isn't it?' he laughed, leaving backwards. 'Well, it isn't. But, I mean, you don't look like a Dylan.'

He darted off across the hallway before I could correct him.

Talking to Leis was better than drugs. I shit you not.

I'll never regret that experience. The way I felt the first time we talked. Even in the face of all that happened afterward. Especially in the face of what happened afterward.

Seconds later he was back, handing me a plastic cup of fountain water, which I took oh so gingerly from him.

'Thank you,' I said somberly. Not just to him, but to God too. He'd set all this up after all, for me. And I was eternally greatful.

'I'll see you tommorrow.' He waved cheerfully. I waved shyly. He disappeared into the herd of students.

I don't remember the rest of that day.

That day I got home on the wings of day's miracle. I floated past the living room on my way to my boudoir.

'Hi Mum,' I greeted cheerily as she emerged from the kitchen, holding a dish towel.

'Hi Duncan, ' she stared at me for a while. 'Why so light? What's the good news?'

'Uh,' I suddenly got shy. She knew nothing about Leis, my Leis. 'Well...'

'I'm just gonna take a wild guess and assume it has to do with a boy. Am I wrong?'

I shook my head slowly, eyes falling to the ground.

'Oh, spill.' She wiped her hands with the towel and threw it on the couch.

'Well...Uh....' I mumbled.

'Duncan,' she said quietly, a serious air suddenly clung to her syllables. 'You're gonna tell me what happened. Or bad shit's gonna go down, hear me?'

My mouth formed a tentative 'O', I knew what she was getting at. I didn't, didn't, didn't want her to tickle me again. My ribs still stung from all the laughing I'd done last time. I clung to the wall as she approached me, like it could come between us and save me.

'Well...' I was still nervous. I'd never said this out loud before. To anyone. Ever. Or anything remotely like it.

'Come on Dunkie, times a-waistin.''

'He kinda... uh..' I thrust out the plastic cup. 'He gave me this.' I blurted.

My mom stopped, much to my relief, and gave me a lopsided frown. 'Yeah,' She sighed. 'I don't get it.'