New Beginnings

Despite all odds, she had done it. Hermione Granger, smartest witch of her age, had successfully left the wizarding world. Without any warning, she simply disappeared. Few knew of her location, and that was just how she liked it. Hermione felt so accomplished for what she had done in this past year. Though very controversial, she had left behind her tarnished reputation and emerged into the muggle world where she could be herself again.

After calling it off with Ron and her pregnancy becoming public, she was Rita Skeeter's favorite gossip topic. Hermione could not stand being looked at the way that they saw her. Really, she did not mean to do anything wrong. She didn't know that she was expecting until after she had left Ron. A drunk, he had never been good to her. Hermione couldn't stand to let Molly down, but a long conversation with Ginny helped her make up her mind. There was no way that she was going through the rest of her life with that bastard.

Hermione's hand flew to her stomach when she felt sudden movement. "Ginny!" she yelled, causing the redhead to run, nearly trip around the corner, and skid to a stop in front of her brunette friend. "He's kicking," Hermione whispered and pulled Ginny's hand to her slightly swollen belly. Hermione had just moved to her new flat in London, and Ginny was helping her move in. Her expertise on aesthetics and design compelled Hermione to enlist her help in designing her baby's new home. Later that day, she had an appointment with the doctor to determine the gender, growth and overall wellbeing of her child. Honestly, Hermione could not wait for this baby to arrive.

A while later, two young women entered the Doctor's office. Through Ginny's excessive protesting, Hermione had stuck like super glue to her decision to continue her visits to the normal clinic in London. She simply couldn't risk anyone seeing her, even professionals; her reputation was already tarnished enough. Throughout the visit, Ginny was fascinated by all of the technology and Hermione was constantly dragging her away to avoid excessive attention towards them. The Weasley was enthralled by the way that Hermione calmly conversed with her doctor. Finally, the time came.

"Are you ready to know the sex of your baby?" the nurse asked excitedly. Hermione nodded quickly and Ginny squealed and ran to Hermione's side. Preparations were made, and finally there was an image on the screen. The image moved around and finally came to a stop. Ginny craned her neck and could see a face clearly. A little, turned-up nose and thin lips fit perfectly into a round face with a visible bone structure underneath. Ginny's heart melted. The nurse turned the screen and Hermione gasped at the view of her child. "As you can see here" the nurse pointed with her finger, "you are going to be blessed with a beautiful baby girl, congratulations." She smiled and printed out an ultrasound photograph. Ginny was about to say something about the picture's lack of movement when Hermione shot her a death glare that could silence anyone for weeks. Luckily, she got the hint.

The girls walked back to Hermione's flat, conversing and giggling the whole way. Ginny asked many questions about the technology and even more about how it felt to be pregnant. Hermione gushed on the joy of actually creating something living. It felt like magic, inflating her heart so much that it jumped into her throat whenever she thought of her child. When she thought of her daughter. Her absolutely perfect daughter. She may be biased, but her daughter was the most beautiful girl that she had ever seen. And she hadn't even seen her yet.

At her flat, she pulled out the picture and pinned it to the empty cork board. Hermione pictured the board filled with all of her accomplishments. First Words, First Steps, First Day of School, all of the 'firsts' that Hermione couldn't wait to see.

"What say we go to my place?" Ginny asked after few minutes of Hermione's silent staring. "Supper should be ready by now and I'm sure that Harry would be delighted to see you. He needs to hear the big news!"

"Well, I suppose." Hermione sighed softly.

Harry hummed softly as he made a light soup. He heard the door open. "Welcome home, dearest." He called out.

"Hello!" Ginny smiled at Hermione over her shoulder and motioned for her to stay put. "Do you think that there's enough food for three?" She asked her husband casually as she strolled into the kitchen.

"What?" Harry nearly dropped the bowls that he was holding. "What do you mean? Are you..." his eyebrows raised high enough to touch his hairline. Ginny giggled hysterically and Hermione inched around the corner. Harry let out a large sigh of relief and chuckled nervously.

"Hi, Harry." Hermione covered her mouth and giggled with Ginny.

"Hermione! You look great! How've things been since you moved?"

"Well, considering that I just moved in less than a week ago, I'd say under furnished." Hermione smiled. "Though Ginny has been helping me a lot."

"Thanks to my help, she now has a picture perfect, and baby ready, home!" Ginny flipped her hair over her shoulder and went to put her arm around Harry's shoulders, kissing his cheek.

"How far along are you again? Sorry to keep asking, but I just can't keep track!" Harry asked with a crooked smile in Hermione's direction.

"About six months, she's doing very well." Hermione rubbed her growing belly with a big, proud smile on her face.

"Oh, it's a girl? Have you thought of names yet?"

Hermione sat down on the loveseat and looked up at the ceiling. "Not particularly. You guys have any ideas?" She smiled at her two friends.

"Nope." Harry answered definitively.

At the same time, Ginny mumbled "well..." All attention turned to the girl as she smiled nervously. "I did have one idea...."

Later, after hours of chatting, Hermione had practically fallen asleep on Harry's couch.

"Why don't you just stay here tonight," Ginny offered, grabbing Hermione's hand.

"Are-are you sure? I wouldn't want to be a bother." Hermione slurred through her words and her eyelids drooped. Ginny lead her to the guest bedroom and Hermione was asleep before her head hit the pillow.

She dreamt of her daughter.