Eight: Be a Dream

Finley

"Ryan? What are you doing here?" Juliet's question is laced with contempt. I must force my lips to keep from turning up with a smile.

"What am I doing here? Why don't you answer your phone? And who and the hell is this?" The rather large, athletic man, looks at me, sizing me up. "Are you the asshole that answered her phone and hung up on me?"

"What?" Juliet asks looking at me, but I do not take my eyes off him.

"I am the man that answered her phone and the man that did not appreciate your tone. I see it hasn't improved since this morning," I say, in a calm voice because there is nothing more annoying than a calm person when you are having a moment.

"Finley, why didn't you tell me about this? Do you have my phone?" Juliet has turned her discontent to me. My eyes go wide as I reach for her hand but she pulls it out of my grasp.

"Well, after seeing you in that dress, I was not thinking about your boyfriend."

Yes, this was to get a reaction and it works. Ryan makes a move toward me. I stand unwavering hoping he'll do something completely moronic. He looks the type with his giant muscles and undersized clothes.

Juliet puts her hand up to stop the blonde haired Aussie man. Of course, he could plow over her if he wanted, but he's just putting on a show.

Juliet huffs, "He is, most certainly, not my boyfriend!"

"Ah, well that is very good to know," I say, and it comes out rather chipper as if we are discussing a bright and sunny day. I allow my facial expressions to match the sentiment.

"Don't say that Juliet. Don't say that to him! I am your boyfriend and have been for three years." The giant's voice is pleading.

"No!" Juliet yells, making me jump a little. "I broke up with you for the final time and moved here. I do not care if you played that bullshit where you say that you do not accept my break-up because this time, I don't care, Ryan. We are through! I am forever, and I mean, forever through with you, and all of your bull."

Ahhh, I'm listening to the sweet music which are Juliet's words. Rage fills her face as she continues the melody, "Not only are we through, I am through with all men like you. I used to love football, biking, and surfing, but now I hate them. I hate them...all, Ryan! You have officially ruined me from enjoying all sports and on top of that, I will never date another man that has anything to do with such things."

"I rather hate sports," I interject, but Juliet ignores me. "I would rather grind a stone on my eye than watch football or any sport for that matter."

Ryan glares at me, but Juliet pretends as if I am not there.

She crosses her arms and holds them tight against her chest. "You can pretend you came here to see me, but I know there is a race in three days. I know it's why you're really here. I thought about doing that race, but then my stomach turned just thinking about bike shorts and cycling shoes. I will never race again and I will forever be very, very happy about it."

"No, love..." Ryan attempts.

"Do not call me 'love!" Juliet's eyes are so angry it makes me nearly feel bad for the poor fellow.

"Look, we need to talk. Open the door and let's go inside." Ryan demands. It's clear he is hoping that by being calm he will ease her temper.

"Nice try!" Juliet says, pushing passed the man and unlocking the door. "This time, you don't get to tell me what to do! I will go into my flat you and can..." she fumbles for the words, "Bugger off!"