Five

We come together
•5•

I pulled into a parking lot near the coffee shop, and stopped the car. This is the first time I'm going go see my best friend in almost four years. I let out a deep sigh, pulling on the car handle and stepping out.

My heels clicked on the wet ground, as it had been raining earlier today. I swung open the door and scanned the room for Ryan. I saw the familiar baby face sitting in a corner booth. I walked over,

"Hey!" I said. His eyes peeled away from his phone and he greeted me with a warm smile.

"Hey, man! Long time no see." he stood up and hugged me. Nostalgia tingled through me. We walked out to my car and he got in the passenger side, me on the driver side. "Alright. I'll put the address in the GPS." he said, grabbing the portable GPS I had sitting on the dash. He set it down when done, letting the robotic female's voice take charge.

***

Hours passed of driving. We talked about the past few years, and what'd been happening. It was so incredible to talk to him. I missed my best bud. We were just around the corner from Jon's place and the car was silent. The tension was thick as Ryan and I exchanged glances before turning into our old friends driveway. We slowly got out and walked up the path to the door. Ryan reached forward and knocked as we waited.

The door swung open and we saw Jon. His hair was longer and he had the same facial hair.

"Ryan.. Brendon.." he said awkwardly. The stressful tension was suffocating.

"Jon." I said. Ryan glared at him. Jon scoffed,

"Yknow, I'm surprised you two weren't still fucking after we left." he said.

"Fuck you, I was in love with the girl you are now fucking."

"And, we never dated Jon and you know that. I'm not gay. We were only ever stage gay." Ryan interjected.

"Bullshit, Ryan. Remember Pete? Huh? Were you 'stage gay' then too?"

"Shut up, Jon. Where's Mona? I need to talk to her." I demanded. I'm pissed at him right now.

"Not here. I'm all alone, actually." he smirked. From upstairs, we suddenly heard the soft tune of "Therapy" by All Time Low playing from inside. Jon pursed his lips. "Haha.. well...." He said, trying to slam the door. Ryan stopped it and pushed it open. We walked through.

"Mona?" I called. I raced around the unfamiliar house.

"Get out!" Jon yelled.

"MONA?" I called again frantically. I saw a staircase and ran up, to be met with a hallway. One of the doors had a light so I burst through. I found Mona curled into a ball in the corner, with bruises and cuts on her arms and face. "M-Mona.." I mumbled, shocked.

"B-B-Brendon?" she stuttered, lifting her head weakly. I raced over and hugged her.

"Mona.. did Jon do this to you?" I asked. She slowly nodded.I can't believe that bastard did this. I reached around her and carried her bridal style down the stairs. Ryan was arguing and fighting with Jon in his kitchen. I snuck past them as quietly as possible and brought Mona to the car. I sat her in the back. As I was leaving to get Ryan I heard her speak up

"Brendon?" she said softly.

"Yes?"

"Why did you come back for me? I abandoned you.. I thought you hated me." I walked closer.

"Because.. you're my Mona Lisa." I smiled faintly as I caressed her face. She smiled at me. "I'll be back." I said, closing the door and going back up to the house. "RYAN! LETS GO!" I yelled. I heard a grunt in pain and heard a thump as though someone fell over. Ryan ran out unharmed and we got in the car driving off as soon as we got in.

"Ryan?" Mona said confused.

"Hey Monaaa, I missed you." he smiled.

"I missed you too." she whispered. There was so much hurt in her voice, from that bastard we once called a friend. It was extremely late so we went to a hotel for the night. Ryan scored us a last minute room. The room had two beds, so Ryan volunteered to sleep on the couch.

We stood in the quiet elevator. I suddenly felt two small arms wrap around me. I looked down and saw Mona grasping onto my waist. I smiled. She released when the elevator beeped and we walked to our room, walking in.

"Aight, I'm hitting the sack. Goodnight." Ryan called and went to the couch. He laid down and pulled his hat over his eyes. I laughed softly and Mona crawled into one of the beds. I got in the opposite one and took my hat off, setting it on the stand.

It was silent for a few minutes.

"Brendon?"

"Yes, Mona?

"Thank you."

"You're welcome." I smiled. I opened my eyes slightly to see her mouth formed a smile as well. I shut my eyes once again and dozed off.

She's back in my life.

She doesn't hate me.

I have my best friend back.

Maybe my life doesn't suck so much after all.