Three

To burn out forever
•3•

I clicked on my mousepad, scrolling through documents of old photos of Mona and myself. My eyes were stinging, and I slammed my laptop closed. I stared at the wall and took a swig of my beer. Standing up from the couch, the cold hardwood made my feet tingle. I walked into the front hall, slipped socks on and put on my shoes.

I walked out and locked the door behind me, trudging to my car. I started the engine and drove back to street where we began. Yes, I'm going to the high school.

***

Four hours later of complete silence, I pull into the parking lot of our old school. The other spots were empty, it was a Saturday. I stood against the hood of my car and stared at the old, crumbling brown building. The gray sky and crows flying around gave it a creepy aura, for a high school.

Eight years. Eight years since I attended this school. Eight years since I left the love of my life, to pursue my career. Eight years ago, I moved to L.A and met my idols. Eight years ago, I found my passion. Singing. Eight years ago, I found whom I thought were my best friends. I haven't spoken to three of them in years.

It's all gone now.

It's over.

I can't redo it.

I left her.

Now she's repaying the favor.

I stood there for many minutes before working up the courage to go back into my vehicle. I started it and decided to go back down Mona's old street. I turned the corner to see the original, crumbly paved road. The cracked sidewalks, lined with weeds. The puke green grass complimenting the old houses. I drove up to Mona's old house. I recognized her mother's car. She still lived here.

I pulled into the driveway. Stopping the car, I contemplated my actions. Do I really want to face the mother of the woman who I once broke the heart of? Fuck it. I pulled the handle and stepped out. My heels clicked on the tar driveway and I walked up the pathway, knocking on the large door.

Seconds after, the door swung open to a woman with greying hair, skin still beautifully smooth, and glasses perched on her nose.

"Brendon?" she asked.

"Hi Mrs. Hart." I was nervous.

"W-What are you doing here?"

"I was in the neighborhood." I lied.

"Have you seen Mona?" she blurted out. I blinked. She hasn't talked to her own mother?

"No? I haven't spoken to her in two years." I confessed. Her eyes filled with concern.

"I thought she was living with you." she sounded horrified. "Where could she be?"

"I.. I don't know. She walked out in the middle of night on me back in 2011."

"Oh, dear me.. I've already contacted the police before. No sign of her.." her eyes were tearing up. I awkwardly pulled her into my arms and pat her back. She sobbed into my shoulder. "I miss my baby girl."

"I do too." I whispered.

***

After driving back home, I called Dallon.

"Yello?"

"Dallon. I just talked to Mona's mom. She hasn't seen her since 2011 either. The police has no track of her."

"Whoa. That's weird. But.. why were you in Las Vegas?"

"I.. uh.. wanted to visit my old school." I lied.

"Okay, whatever."

"We have to find her."

"Look, Bren. We don't have any control over this. Just leave it be, man. You're just hurting yourself even more." His words cut deeper than a knife. He was right, though. I needed to find someone else. I needed to find love again, but I'd need some help.

"Okay. Thanks man." I hung up, not letting him say goodbye. The next thing I did was something I didn't think I'd ever do. I scrolled through my contacts to the "R" section. I clicked the call button beside his name.

"Hello?"

"Ryan, I need your help."