Chapter 22

Chapter 22

I was sure I had turned a thousand shades redder than was possible for the human body. This had been a training session between a trainer and a trainee, and of all people who had to walk in on us slacking off, a.k.a making out, was our boss. Well, she had brought us together, so I didn't really know what else to call Erna.

She stared at us, her eyes clearly amused. Her lips tilted up into a half smile. I was certain she was holding back laughter. Worst of all, she could read our minds. I mean, I'd been really into that kiss...

"So I see what you've been doing with yourselves during your training sessions," Erna said finally, as we stared at her, waiting for the hammer to come down. Her walking in on us might be just as bad as my dad catching us.

Kody just sighed. "So..." I glanced over at him to see his cheeks pink, but he was obviously trying to play everything off.

"I just wanted to check up you two. Can't say this was unexpected," Erna responded, walking closer until we were able to hear each other clearly. Meanwhile, I was frantically trying to push every embarrassing thought into the very depths of my brain, but it wasn't working so well.

"I've learned how to keep secrets, dear," Erna said to me. She knew exactly what I was doing.

Before either of us could reply to her, she gestured for us to both sit down. The alley might not have been the most elegant place to have a conversation, but it was private enough. We obeyed her.

Kody and I shared a worried look and then turned our eyes back on Erna. "I'm sure you've read today's paper, yes?" I'd forgotten about that, but now that she mentioned it, I was furious all over again. I nodded in answer to her.

She shook her head, and then reached over to pat my knee in a comforting manner. "The people...they're scared. They finally have someone to protect them. They were happy to believe in someone. But then the incidents with The Wolf and the Mage... They know in their hearts you could have done nothing to stop it. Now that they're uncertain, they're angry with themselves for believing so much in you. I know it sounds terrible, but it's simply the human heart."

I blinked back a sudden burst of tears. "What kind of excuse is that?" I ground out, frustrated that she was excusing them and not taking my side.

Kody took my hand and held it tight in his own, right in front of Erna. That might have been one of the sweetest things he'd ever done for me since I'd known him.

She smiled at us. "I know you're having a very tough time, Nikkia. Every superhero has to go through this at least once in their job. There are people who understand you in the world. You are not alone." Her eyes trailed to Kody.

"About your relationship..." she started.

Kody held up a hand, stopping her. His eyes were icy blue, determined. "Yes, we've started dating. Yes, I know the rule. Yes, I'm breaking the rule. I take full responsibility."

Rule? What rule?

Erna stared hard at him, and I could only imagine the battle going on in their minds that I wasn't a part of. "Nikkia, we've had an important rule for a long time. Trainers do not have romantic relations with their pupils." I gaped at her. I was never informed on this. "You still need some training though, and I do not think Kody will stop being with you just because there's a rule. I'm letting this one slide, Kody, because it's you. You know what I expect of you, though." Her eyes never left his, as if they were having a silent conversation that I wasn't privy to.

So there had been some important rule where Kody wasn't supposed to date me? And he had broken it, just to be with me?

The boss smiled gently at me and then stood. We joined her on her feet. "Nikkia, I do believe it might be time soon for you to tell your parents your secret."