Chapter VI

I stuck out my hand, prepared to fake Drew out. My sly grin turning into a full blown evil sneer.

I made my first mistake by looing into her eyes.

"Oh, Addie, this is going to be so much fun; us, hanging all day, having fun, being wild."

She put every last ounce of force she had into those few words. And I melted.

I forgot all attempts at deceit and was about to put my hand in hers. "Drew, I would be honored--"

"Hold it right there, flat ass," Carman interrupted.

"Are you talking to me?" Drew shot back.

"Who else?" Carman said without meeting her eyes.

"What on earth are you doing?!" I hissed at Carman.

"I'm saving you from Medusa over there," Livy said popping out from behind Carman.

"I don't need saving!" I exclaimed.

Drew rolled her eyes. "Oh, Livy, dear. At least I don't wake up on the wrong side of Olympus."

"You're such a momma's girl!"

"She's never even met her mom! And, I wouldn't be talking, Miss Stepmommy-picks-out-my-clothes!" I fumed.

Carman pulled her palm down over her face. "And this, kids, is why I hate charmspeak."

"What charmspeak?" I asked.

"It's the freaking spell your friend here has you under," Livy replied flatly.

"What the hell do you mean?! I never fall under spells," I replied, still overflowing with anger.

"Sure."

"Drew, you're sad, really." Carman grabbed my arm and pulled me away.

"Let me go! You're not the boss of me!' I screamed.

"What are you? Five?" Livy grumbled from behind me.

"Actually, I'm the second boss of you. Ryan babysits you for half the day, me the other half," Carman told me.

"Lies! I don't have any activities with Ryan!" I said, confident in my sort of loophole.

"That's what you think."

"Whatever! Let me go!!!"

Carman stopped, turned around, whacked me in the head, and continued walking.

"Well, ow."

I Twisted and wriggled and much as I could, and suddenly, stumbling forward, I broke free. I booked it back to Drew.

We were about to shake on it when Livy appeared between us.

"No, no, no. Not on my watch."

I reached as far as I could ever her shoulder. Livy stood there, pushing me back.

Drew leaned forward, just the slightest little bit, and our fingers touched.

My second mistake.

Livy and Carman didn't notice, and I was going to leave it that way. I let the two drag me away.

I laid down on my bunk that night, still having some of the effects of the charmspeak.

"I just made the best decision ever," I yawned.

I rolled over and went to sleep.

Knock, knock, knock!

"Good, good. Addie! Come quick! inside and we can get started on--" Drew started.