Chapter Eight: The Shackles

Before I knew it,

The winds felt heavy, a horrible stench surrounded me and a soft sound of screams echoed out of nowhere, my body became cold and a dark presence presided over me, something felt like a piece of fabric waving on my skin, before I knew it......"Missy lookout"

Someone called out to me in my head, my instincts told me to roll to the right and so I did, I heard footsteps running towards me. "Get away from her you creep" the tone in Ophelia's voice called out in distress.

I wish I knew what was happening, there are sounds of a struggle, I think Ophelia's in trouble. I want to help, what can I do? My thoughts shambled trying to think of what to do, I can't see but I can feel.

I followed the motion of the wind and trusted my instincts, Ophelia had like a lemony scent with a tiny hint of sweat, her perfume must be fading from the struggle, I followed the scent of Ophelia while the other smelt burnt, as if he was a corpse himself, I think it might have been a homeless man or something, I am not sure but one things for sure I got both of their scent and I know what to do now.

Judging by their smell they are only seven feet away from me, I gently moved towards them, caught a whiff of the other guy and elbowed him in the back of his neck, I didn't know how I knew that was his neck but I am glad I found it. It seems as though I broke off the fight between the two and I hear Ophelia catching her breath, while the other was strange, he wasn't catching his breath or anything except laughing.

"Ophelia are you alright?" I cried out to her.

"Yeah I'm fine, but you shouldn't get involve I can handle this creep" she said, catching her breath again.

"No I got this" I could smell the stench of the guy and I spun around and did a high kick to his face, I was assuming he might be tall but I missed.

"Ooh so close, um Missy I hate to be a bother but he's a tad bit shorter than you, try a little lower" Ophelia pointed out my mistake.

"Got it" I swiped his legs and out of nowhere I hear people jumping in to stop the guy, "It's okay Missy, the creep is being taken by the police, we're fine now and might I just say, damn bitch that was good looking, how did you do that." She said in relieve tone, her arm was over my shoulder and the two of us walked back inside only to meet up with my mother who saw the whole thing.

"Missy are you okay, you could have been hurt, how about you Ophelia?" Mother said, worried as she hugged me.

"I'm fine mom, it was nothing I couldn't handle"

"I'm fine too, but your daughter Ms. Amber is a bad-ass superhero, like a female version of Daredevil. I need to take notes from her." Ophelia joked, afterwards she started laughing about what had happened earlier.

"Well I'm glad the two of you are fine, oh Heavens who was that guy?" Mother questioned someone, then letting me go.

"That is one of our recent patients, he lives in our psych ward we have in the back of the hospital, however when we brought him he was...." Dr. Gander explained and paused a bit, "Comatose."

"What! Comatose" Mother said in fear, she sounded anxious as if something like that might happen to me.

"He suddenly woke up and as a result tried to attack you. Dr. Gander explained a little further, "He was brought in after a horrible car accident a year ago and he didn't wake up until seven weeks ago." Even though I couldn't see him, I think he was staring at me just by the way his choice of words and tone sounded.

"Wait seven weeks ago, that was the week Missy woke up" mother got worried even more.

"That's not all, every patient who was in a coma on the sixth floor suddenly woke up, this was after Missy was discharged from the hospital and just like that everyone woke up at the same time, only unlike Missy, everyone else started experiencing things they didn't understand and that guy out there was one of them. He claims Death is talking to him, others claim Angels and others claim Demons." Dr. Gander didn't sound surprise about the situation, then again he does have to deal with mentally ill patients most of the time, but a bit concerned more concerned than my mother though, she was just gasping like someone from a soap opera. Mother just stop it we're not in a telenovela.