Ch. 2

"This is One Direction." Henry smacked a pointer stick to a photo pinned above a map of Britain. "And this is Niall Horan, Harry Styles, Zayn Malik, Louis Tomlinson and Liam Payne. All five of them are members of an illegal agency in England called the Second. A pretty simple name, really, as they assume themselves to be the second government in the country," he explained as he moved the stick to around London. "This is where the five men live, and the headquarters must be somewhere around there. All they will have to do is a bit of a walk."

I cut in and said, "I really don't understand what is going on. What the hell am I looking for? And what is so bad about who they work-"

Henry pressed his finger to his lips before continuing to go over the locations and the names of the bad guys on the picture. In my opinion, they didn't look all that bad. But if I had said that out loud the board probably wouldn't have been the next thing to get whacked with the pointer. They just looked like your average young lads having a group picture taken. Though this is true, I supposed that it was all an act.

From what Henry had already taught me, I knew never to believe anything the enemy says, even if your own act is stone solid and they must be believing you. For example, if any member of the Second was to tell me they didn't have what I was looking for I couldn't take their word for it. In Benson's words, don't trust anyone but yourself and your common sense, and don't even trust that if you're surrounded by either good liars of great enemies. When I first heard this, I didn't really understand what he meant by 'great enemies' because he hated them, but then I realised he had meant great as in large. They were big enemies, and this was drilled into my head by a couple of days before I was due to leave when I was studying a thick folder Henry and Benson had put together. It was full of everything I needed to know - laws, locations, names. You name it.

I came across a photograph of the chip I was looking for. I lent over the folder to get a better view. Before, I had been told what it looked like but never been showed a picture. If there were mugshots for objects, that would have been a mugshot. Even though it was black and white I could make out the colours I thought it was meant to be. If I was correct, it was just like the ordinary green microchips but it was black. Still, I wondered what it held. Briefly Henry had hinted at it having secret information about criminals from decades ago. Apparently it was still important despite the long time ago it was.

"Carter," Henry called from outside of my mum's office. "We're ready."

After bookmarking the page I was on, I closed the folder, stretched my legs and followed his voice through to the room next door. I had never been allowed in that room, so I was prickling with excitement and wonder. Behind the door stood a massive room that caused my mouth to drop open. It was literally like I had walked into a different world, and even more so when Henry closed the door behind me. All around me people were moving around at different paces and going into different doors. Some were rushing in a quick jog, whereas others were dawdling along like they had all the time in the world.

In the centre of the room was a water fountain and half a dozen people in suits were sitting around it talking on their phones looking rather frustrated and annoyed. When someone in a rush knocked into Henry and I, Henry placed a hand on my shoulder and led me across the room. It wasn't until I started to come out of my daze that I realised he was leading me through a door titled 'makeover' with the sub titles underneath saying hair and makeup and wardrobe. My stomach twisted at this; I had not been told about this. I should have thought about it, really. Obviously somebody would have found out who I was if I looked like I had most of my life; I was sure my picture was out there somewhere. And an illegal agency would definitely do their research on a person, especially if they were suspicious of me in the slightest.