Chapter 1

Eleanor

It was the day of my wedding. I was staring out the window at the flitting little birds that soared high above the meadows. My fingers reached out to them as I wished for wings of my own. The freedom to fly away from all the worries of this world and to do whatever you pleased. It was only when my palms hit the cool pane of glass that I realised this was never to be an option.

I turned to my mirror and gazed at the white silken nets surrounding my legs. The dress was very grand and made of the finest fabrics in our land. I had not chosen it though. From the long, flowing vale atop my head, to the lace surrounding the ivory flesh of my arms, to the excessive train extending behind me and even to the dainty glass slippers on my feet, I despisedthis garment.  My soon to be mother-in-law had loved it (being the petty royal she was) and had immediately demanded my wearing it. I however, felt only hatred for my wedding dress.

My hair was equally over the top, wrapped up in an intricate style that included weaving in and out of itself again and again using many blue ribbons; sometimes to secure the countless gems that now where residing atop my head. A silver tiara was atop it all, sparkling gleefully in the morning light.

My maid Daisy stared enviously.

“You look beautiful my lady. Prince Charles will make a fine Queen of you.”

I smiled. Daisy had been my lady in waiting since my turning 15, 4 years ago. In mere days we became fast friends and I trusted her with my life. Daisy was the only person to whom I expressed my hatred of the arranged marriage. She still talked about it positively and sometimes I wonder if I would have had the strength to go through this wedding without her.

Daisy was a plain girl but once you became more acquainted with her small hints of beauty became apparent. Her nose was splattered with light freckles, her brown hair shined, even in the shadow, and her hazel eyes changed colour in the light. She was truly beautiful, inside and out, with the innocence of a young deer and soon men would begin to notice her for the woman she was growing up to be.

“I will miss you dearly Daisy. This shall be our last morning together before I am to live with the Prince”

Daisy’s smile disappeared.

“I shall miss you as well Miss Eleanor”

Someone knocked on the door and both our heads turned in sync. As we giggled Daisy managed to control herself and cry out.

“Who is it?”

“It’s the king come to see my beautiful daughter,” My father said, his voice muffled by the wood.

Daisy straightened her posture and smoothed down her dress. As gracefully as she could, she opened the door. My father’s smiling face appeared. It was a tad hard to see due to his dark grey beard surrounding the nethermost region of his face, but his ice blue eyes gleamed and his forehead wrinkled as he took in my appearance. He embraced me.

“Oh my dear you look stunning! I could not be more proud.”

“How much longer father? Until the ceremony?”

“We have all but an hour”

One hour I thought. One hour until I am sold off, wrapped up and presented as a gift that will join our two kingdoms together. I was nothing but a pawn in this Great War. But I was the pawn that was going to combine our country to another which strengthened the likely hood of our people’s safety. And it simply meant I had to marry a man I detested.

Even though I was doing something very important that would give us a fighting chance in the war of the lands, I still felt as if there was something more I should do. I didn’t want to be the object that saved us, as I was going to be… I wanted to be the person. Being a woman, marriage was the only way to make any difference.