Chapter 9

Later that night Nellie had come in with a steaming hot bowl of broth in her hand and fresh bread. It took her quite a while to coax me out of bed, and when she finally had I only ate a few spoonful. She had looked at me sadly, and told me that I was to make a list all my favourite foods to give to the cook. I however just rolled on to my bed and closed my eyes, hoping for the black abyss of dreams to take me away.

I was awoken the next morning by a cheery voice.

“Come now milady, ‘tis bout time you awoke and had somethin’ to eat.”

I opened my heavy lids, and watched as the blurry figure placed a tray on a table. It was hard not to yawn as my body slowly woke up, and I eventually managed to push my leaden legs on to the floor, sloppily arising from the soft heaven that had been my bed.

The maid had pulled out a chair and was waiting patiently for me to sit down. I sat and began eating immediately, not even bothering to see what it was I was shoving down my mouth.

“Hungry are we? I would imagine so, ma told me you hadn’t eaten much yesterday”

I turned back to the maid, having almost forgotten she was there.

“Who are you? Are you Ell-Nellie’s daughter?”

The young woman smiled, and nodded,

“I’m Margaret, your lady-in-waiting”

Margaret let out a quiet giggle and began to jump up and down on her short legs, her red ringlets bouncing around her face as she did so. She must have noticed the look of disapproval I was giving her, for she stopped abruptly, her eyes on the floor.

“Sorry Miss Eleanor,” she said, her cheeks tinging red, “It’s my first job… I'm just a little excited is all”

“It's ok Margaret,” I laughed, “I’m sure we’ll both have a lot of fun together.”

Strangely enough I meant it. This wacky young girl with the bright red hair had an odd ability to make the world seem a whole lot brighter. She was immediately grinning again, and did one more jump for good measure.

“Call me Peggy, Miss "she squealed through a winning smile.

“Ok Peggy," I replied, "then you must call me Eleanor"

By now Peggy had calmed herself.

"So what is on the agenda today Peggy?" I asked

"Well, I believe I must help you dress, and then you are to get a tour of the castle"

She turned to the large walnut wardrobe and began to pull out multitudes of garments, staring at them for a moment, then carefully putting them back in their place.  She held out a royal-blue dress.

Peggy turned around and waited whilst I took of my sleeping gown and got fully clothed. Once I was finished she turned around and took a step back, admiring me from different perspectives.

"I think the King will take a right fancy to you in this." she said, grinning at her handiwork, not even noticing that I had frozen.

"What did you just say!?" I spat through clenched teeth

She spun around and was immediately taken aback by my angered face.

"I just thought... since you're the first woman who's ever stayed here..."

She didn't to finish what she was saying as a hot flash ran up my spine and my blood began to boil.

"I have absolutely no positive feelings towards that retched man! Don't you dare think otherwise! The only reason I'm here is because he's imprisoned me! The man is the most evil monster to have ever set foot in the seven provinces! He is a bastard King who has no morals whatsoever... and I... I refuse to wear... anything.... that would please him!"