Chapter 17

Erik

My heart quenched as the last flutter of silver material fluttered out of my sight. Eleanor had seemed almost normal until I asked her if she was alright. In hindsight it was a stupid question; of course everything was not alright. No one would be able to learn everything she had just learned and come out of it the same way they went in.

She was trying to be strong, that much was obvious, but it still baffled me when she first walked in through the archway. I had thought she would retire to her room, feigning sickness, or some other kind of excuse. Perhaps she had been trying to please that maid girl… they did seem like good friends.

I was brought forth from my thoughts as a hand gripped my shoulder. Turning around, I was greeted by Fredrick and the maid, who looked especially anxious.

"What happened! Oh- I meant 'may I ask what happened your highness?'" The red-head blurted out.

I chuckled at her lack of control and then realized what she was asking. My grin disappeared.

"Eleanor found out about her father."

The maid gasped, covering her mouth with her hands whilst Fredrick just gave me a harsh look. That was the good thing about Fredrick, he would always tell me whether he thought I was doing something wrong or not. None of my advisor had the guts to do that.

"I'll go find her." Said the woman, rushing outside to the gardens.

Fredrick continued to frown at me.

"Well I told you it was a silly idea," he said sternly, "but how did she find out?"

The two of us were silent for a moment. I had not thought of it before, but it was odd how Eleanor had all of a sudden come rushing in to my study demanding to know everything. I recounted the story to Fredrick, who nodded wordlessly during the retelling. During my account of what had happened, another maid had wandered in to our huddled conversation. I was about to snap at her to leave us alone when I recognized the white-blonde hair.

"Ruth." I said, my voice cold even to my own ears.

"I know how she found out."

Both Fredrick and I turned to her. He was the first to ask.

"How?"

Ruth looked down at her fingers, twiddling them around like she did when she was ill at ease.

"I… may or may not have given it away."

"YOU WHAT!" I yelled, many heads turning our way.

"Were you or were you not the one who gave it away?" Fredrick asked more quietly when everyone went back to what they were doing.

The foolish girl bowed her head even lower, a subtle but conceivable nod. It took all my strength to keep my hands from wrapping around her throat. Anger was boiling inside me and without Eleanor's calming presence, I knew there was the possibility to burst. Fredrik had noticed my fists were curling and quickly ushered the girl away to talk privately, signalling to me that I should go out on to the terrace. With a sigh I did just that, letting the night air cool my temper.

After a while Fredrick came out to join me. He stood right next to me, looking out at the night sky and sighed.

"It seems Ruth told Eleanor that she didn't trust her because of her father. One of the staff stopped her from spilling the whole truth but nevertheless Eleanor at least figured out that you were hiding something."

It was silent for a moment. I peered out in to the gardens, trying to see if there was any sign of silver amongst the green-blues, but there was not.