Chapter 5

All of the pack members had returned by the time I opened my eyes. It was morning, and the sun was shining outside the den. I sat up and rubbed my eyes. Chanyeol, who had been leaning against my shoulder, slumped over. I snickered as he jolted awake, having lost his pillow.

He stretched and popped his neck. “Good morning, lil’ sis.”

I stared at him. “You know, if some little girl found you on the streets in a cardboard box, she would take you home and beg her parents to let her keep you.” I imagined his six-foot-something frame next to a small child and giggled.

He snorted. “Until new moon. I’m not that human, I’m just a bit more human than the others.”

“What is so important that you need to talk about it now?” A tired voice growled at us, irritated. “Go back to sleep.”

A very deep, intense snarl rose from somewhere in the den. Everyone grew silent when it rumbled out, and it echoed off the cave walls. I blinked. Whoa. That must have been Kris.

Suddenly, I got a very urgent feeling. I poked Chanyeol. “Hey, bro…”

“What?” He whispered, trying not to wake the other pack members. Kris growled again.

“Is there a bathroom?”

His lip curled up at the corner. “We’re wolves. The whole world is our bathroom.”

I bit my lip and crossed my legs. “I’m not going in here.”

“Oh, you have to go. I thought you were just asking!” Chanyeol’s expression turned serious. “Um…I’ll go with you outside…”

Kris stood up from the other side of the den and stalked towards us. His eyes were glowing red. “No,” He said firmly to Chanyeol, who bared his neck instantly. Kris’ red eyes met mine. “If you have to go that bad, I will take you. Come on.”

He reached down and pulled me up. My broken leg protested, and I bit back a whimper of pain. He looped my arm over his shoulder, and I leaned against him. We moved slowly towards the entrance. We hobbled farther away from the den until I told him to stop. He let go and turned around.

Good god, this is embarassing, I thought pathetically. I glanced at the alpha, who still had his back turned. “Can you…take a few steps away?”

“I’m not looking,” he told me.

I figured that was as good as it was going to get. My face was burning with weak embarassment. I finished and turned back around when everything was normal.

“Are you done?” Kris’ voice sounded different.

“Yes,” I answered. When he turned around, I burst out laughing. He was holding his nose so he couldn’t smell anything.

“What?” He said in a nasally voice. “I have a wolf’s senses. That stuff smells god-awful.”

I giggled even though he had kind of insulted me. “And yours smells like roses?” I snickered at him. “You look so weird…”

Something changed in his expression; it didn’t look so hard and serious. His eyes softened a bit, and I thought I saw his lips twitch. My jaw dropped, and all my humor disappeared. His expression went back to normal almost instantly.

“You…” I said, amazed. “You almost smiled.”

“No, I didn’t,” He said firmly.

“You totally did.”

He growled. I tossed my arm over his shoulder, and he wrapped his arm around my waist to help steady me. I hopped while he walked. I looked up at his face.