The Dawn

"Stay away, you wicked beast!" I shrieked. 

Deriçon shifted in his too-big armor. "Wait, I thought I was the knight this time?" 

"No, I said you were the warlock king!"

"But I don't have magic!"

"Pretend you do, I'm the fairy queen!"

We flitted around the lush bushes that left a sweet perfume every time we brushed past the fierce pink flowers, laughing crazily, as only carefree kids could. 

Soon, we grew tired and could only collapse onto the soft grass, looking up at the fluffy clouds in the azure sky.

"What do you think our parents are talking about?" I looked over to Deriçon, who just grimaced.

"I don't know, boring war tactics or something...Why do you care? We aren't even allowed to be in the throne room." His curls were squished, sticking out from behind his head like ebony branches.

I sighed. "I know, but I just can't wait to be important. Just think, in seven years, we'll be learning how to actually run our kingdoms. I wonder what kind of queen your sister will be. Probably the prettiest in the land. Isn't today the first meeting she's been to?"

"Yeah. Just because she turned seventeen last week. Seven years is ages away..." He sat up knees crossed, lips pursed like he just had eaten a lemon. "How are your etiquette lessons going? Mine are absolute torture. If I have to practice shaking hands like a prince one more time, I might actually explode."

"Ew." I crinkled my nose in disgust."My lessons are alright, but I can't hold my balance very well. I still topple over when I try to curtsy-"

"Let's see it then!" Deriçon crowed. He pulled me up with one arm. "I can help you keep balance."

My cheeks flushed. "Alright, but don't laugh at me." I tried on my own at first, hands clutching my smooth blue frock, clumsily putting one foot behind me, and bending at the knee. And then promptly flung out my arms as I tumbled to the earth. Deriçon snickered, as expected. "You said you wouldn't laugh!"

"I'm sorry!" He struggled to regain his composure and his dark green eyes sparkled with amusement. His face suddenly became serious. "Really, I'm sorry, I won't laugh again. Here." He extended his hand and prompted me to try again.

Clutching his hand like a rope that kept me from falling to my death, I drew in a breath and bent my knee keeping my eyes on his. I straightened up and smiled as widely as I could. 

"See? It wasn't too bad was it? Just try it again on your own, and keep your eyes on me." 

I curtsied a third time, and thought about nothing but Deriçon's grass colored eyes, and imagined he was still supporting me. The curtsy almost seemed too easy, and a proud grin couldn't be suppressed. I clapped my hands and eagerly hugged him. "Thankyouthankyouthankyou!!!"

  He just grinned back and adjusted his ruffled shirt. "And no, I don't want to practice handshakes, thank you very much." 

So we just sat back to back and talked about everything, from the most delicious tarts that my maid brought us to our favorite magical creatures (not without arguing whether unicorns or dragons were better), until our parents called us in for supper. 

I didn't realize it then, but that day a warm feeling had planted itself in my heart, and would affect many of my decisions for years to come.