~II~

The next years were the best. Me and her were inseparable. We woke at the same time, we ate at the same time, we played together at the same time.

One day, I remember, Casey came running into the field screaming that she wanted to play cowboys. We ran about pretending to capture Indians and save the horses from them. She was everything a horse like me needed. My best friend.

Although, as we grew up, I had to accept she was human and I was not. When she was 4, she started going to school. By the time she got home, she was exhausted and I saw less and less of her. Yes, I could entertain myself and I bonded with my mum but, it wasn't quite the same. I was loosing Casey.

Weekends were great, I always had her attention. We would run in the fields and eat by the big Apple tree. When she began riding I, of course, jumped at the chance to be ridden.

The first time she saddled me up, it was a little daunting. She struggled getting the saddle on and getting the bridle on but I  was patient with her, gently guiding her along. Slowly, Casey got more confident with the placings and finished tacking me. Excitedly we both walked over to the mounting block and she was finally on me. I adjusted to her weight and was waiting for her signals. My mother had told me to be patient with her as she is only learning; I was expecting some mixed signals and slow starts.

It took a couple of weeks for Casey to get her confidence on my back, but slowly we increased speed and were soon cantering through the fields around our home. I was loving every second of it and I believe she was too. It was the dream life. I couldn't wish for more. I had my dream girl riding me and my life was heading in a positive direction...

Until I turned 10...