Thirteen

The credits rolled on in no time. I didn't even know what was going on half the time. My mind was focused on Liam's every movement. Towards the end of the movie, he removed his hand so he'd be able to eat the popcorn. I watched as he ate with his left hand, telling me he was left handed. Very interesting. I watched as he kept his eyes on the screen, occasionally glancing at me who was watching him. When he caught me staring, he would laugh while he shook his head.

Everyone began filing out of the theater as we stayed in position. I didn't want to move, I was so comfortable. Liam didn't even show signs of irritation by my legs on his, so I kept them there even longer.

"C'mon lovebirds," This is Quinn. "We need to go to get some real food."

I take my leg off Liam slowly, then turn to face my two friends. Quinn's popcorn box is completely empty and so is Jade's. "You both finished your popcorn?" I look down into the one I bought for Liam and myself. It was three-fourths done.

"She helped me finish mine, actually." Jade says.

"But hey, we didn't have anyone to distract ourselves from the movie." Quinn utters. Jade points to Quinn as if she brought up a good point. Truthfully, I didn't think I distracted Liam at all. I believe he was the one doing the distracting obliviously.

"Can you hold this for me, please?" Liam asks Jade. Jade takes it with no hesitation. Everyone watches Liam's move. He turns to me and says, "I'll race you to the car."

"You're serious?" I ask. He nods and there's no hint of a smile on his face. He must be serious. "Okay, sure."

"Wait!" Quinn yells. "What does the winner get?"

"It's between them two," Jade says. "I'm not trying to run to the car after eating all those carbs, and neither should you."

"I know that. But I'm saying between them, what does the winner get."

Jade seems to think this out before nodding in agreement. "What does the winner get?"

Liam and I look at each other. We both shrug at the same time. 

"Whoever loses has to buy the other food." Quinn says.

"No!" This is Jade, of course. "Loser has to go on any ride the winner says at the carnival."

"What are you implying?" I ask.

Jade looks at Liam. "April hates heights."

"You seriously doubt me?"

"It's a given, you're not going to make it before he does, even with a head start."

I stand there for a few seconds, staring at everyone. I can bolt this, I know I can. If I just sprint out right now, I can get there in seconds. Hopefully there's no one in my way or I'll bump into them and then a whole scene will happen. But I can do this, I know I can. So, I do.

I don't even think, I just act. In seconds, I'm out the doors and my feet are running at the fastest speed. It's been so long since I ran, I didn't think I still knew how to. I felt the air blowing my hair back and saw the people I was passing by within seconds. Soon, I was out the front doors, and I could spot the car all alone in the corner under a baby tree. In that exact moment, someone pushes my shoulder back lightly, throwing me off and I see Liam sprinting ahead of me. This is not fair! He has extremely long legs and he's a he!

I jog after him, knowing I've lost the second he pushed me back. He's throwing his arms up in victory as he reached the car and he turns to face me, a smile spread wide across his face. I come to a stop and see his chest moving up and down. I feel the smile growing on my face as he watches me approach him. "You cheated." I tell him.

"You did! You left without a heads up."

"I thought I was going to win."

"I was going to let you win, but then I remembered the prize and I thought that what you're putting me through is worth a few minutes of misery on your behalf."

"Why did you really want to race?"

"To get out of there faster. Since we were running, Georgie wouldn't have paid any attention."

"Really?"

"Yeah," he says. Slowly, he's returning back to his normal self. "So, what ride do you hate the most?"