Four

The dress I put on is nice, or at least, it should be nice. It's my homecoming dress from sophomore year. It's a knee length red scoop neck tulle dress. The tulle fabric scratches my skin, but the silk, slip underneath blocks the itchiness for a while. There's beading all on the upper half in intricate designs and a lighter shade of red wrapped around the waist. It's complemented with the same silver heels I wore last homecoming and some small pieces of jewelry my mom bought.

Luke isn't kidding about the amount of people present. The party is in the backyard, but there are still people hanging around inside the house. Most of them are strangers. I mean, all of them are strangers. It's like walking into a store alone.

A lady, maybe in her late forties, approaches Luke and I--who are trying to get through the crowd and to the backyard--and says, "Luke, did you leave to pick up your girlfriend?" With a swish of her eyes from me to Luke, I taste the bile in my throat within seconds.

"No," Luke says. He's more mature about it than I am. The gagging noise puts the woman on edge. "This is my little sister, April."

I don't recall the woman's reaction because I flee the scene faster than ever. As soon as I get in the backyard, I heave a euphoric sigh of relief. 

I find my mom standing under the cement canopy. Our backyard radiates a different aura tonight as people stand in any free space they can find. The typical half cement and half grass border the cement square that rests in the center like an island. My dad built a roof over the entire cement block, and he planted two trees on either corner of the yard. In the center of the cement square is a fire pit for bonfires and such. It's not lit now, but towards the end of the day it will be. That is when sitting out here is beautiful, especially when one is alone. It's a nice spot to relax and contemplate while listening to the crackling of the fire.

I notice a woman step up beside my mom. She has short brown hair beautifully curled and parted down the middle. From my distance, her fair skin really complements the long champagne colored evening gown. This woman is beautiful, and I know for sure she's the one getting married. As soon as I spot the ring on her finger, everything is clear and I can't help but wonder why in the world a girl as young and beautiful as she is, is working at an inventory.

"Hey, Mom." I say, announcing my arrival as I approach them.

My mom faces me, a confused expression falling on her face. "April? What are you doing here?"

"I decided to not go to the sleepover." I glance at the younger woman who smiles. "So, how's everything here?" 

"It's going fine. It's nice of you to come," My mom says. She lightly taps the woman's arm. "This is my daughter, April. April, this is my friend Melissa."

Melissa and I shake hands. She has a firm shake. I chuckle at how strong it is. It doesn't fit her at all. I expected a light gentle shake.

"Yes, I've heard about you," Melissa says. After giving a questioning look to my mom, Melissa finishes, "We talk to each other about our kids. I have a son around your age."

She has a kid my age? How old is she? "Really?"

She nods, clearly happy about it. "He should be around here somewhere. I sent him to get me a drink. I think he got lost." She stands on her toes more than she can and looks throughout the crowd.

My mom and her laugh about this. Is this a joke? I notice they're both holding half empty cups of something. It must be wine. My mom lives and breathes wine. Melissa takes a sip of hers, emptying the cup completely.

"April, will you see if he's alright?" My mom tells me. She's not asking me to do it, she's telling me. I'm obligated to go.