Engagement

Layla

" But Mom, don't you think I'm too young to be married now! I mean, I'm only 17! I don't even know how old he is for Allah's sake! " I stated.

I was frustrated at how they were ok with me getting married at this age.

" Calm down, sweetie. First of all, he's 22 right now and if you don't want to get married to him now, you two can talk about it together and agree on when you would like to have the wedding. Me and your dad, along with Mazen's parents, agreed that now is the time for you two to get engaged as you are growing and people will start coming to ask for your hand now." Mom stated calmly.

I took a few deep breathes as I tried to calm down. " Ok. When can I talk to him? "

A huge smile appears on my mom's face when I say that.

" I still have to see him first and then I'll think about it. " I quickly clarify.

" As long as you're giving it a chance I'm happy " Mom says as she hugs me softly.

___________________________

" Give me my phone!! " I yell as I crawl on his back.

" What's the secret word? " asks Khalid.

" Pwweeeaaassssseee? " I ask kindly with my puppy dog eyes in action.

" No "

" Alright that's it. I tried the nice way with you but that doesn't seem to work with you. Now I'm getting it the hard way! " I say as I crawl off his back and get ready to jump on him with my elbow pointing in the direction of his back.

When he turns his head to look, his eyes widen with horror, " ok ok stop!! " he quickly screams as he hands me back my phone.

I smile smugly as I take it back. " You know Khalid, for a man of 29 years, you're quiet childish " I say as I unlock my phone.

Yep you heard that right. My brother Khalid is 29 years old, married, has a son, and still acts like a child.

" But that's what Arege likes the most about me, " he answers smugly.

" That's what you think " Arege snorts as she walks into the living room. Anas ( her nine month old baby ) comes crawling behind her as she walks to the love seat couch and sits next to Khalid. Anas crawls up and sits on their lap.

Khalid wraps his arm around her should and says " Stop denying it, you know you love it " he says cockily.

" Ok whatever " she answers. " So Lulu,I heard you're getting married " she says as she turns to look at me.

" I'm guessing Mom told you? " I question.

" Yupp " she answers, popping the P.

" I haven't decided yet. I still haven't met the guy and I want to focus on school before anything else right now "
I say before mom calls us in for dinner.

After everyone is seated at the table, my mom clears her throat and says, " Layla, I have talked to Amina, Mazen's mother and we decided that if it okay with you two, we would like you guys to meet this weekend.