4 - One step closer to freedom

"Thank you so much for this, Mr. and Mrs. Horan," Harry says for the nth time as him and the Horan family sit around a table inside Rudy's Pizza, a pizzeria in Ancoat, waiting for their orders.

Maura, Niall's mother, smiles kindly at the shy young lad sitting beside her son. "Harry, sweetheart," she responds gently. "It's no trouble at all. We want you here to celebrate both of your graduation from sixth form."

Bobby, Maura's husband and Niall's father, nods in agreement. He is seated by the head of the table with his firstborn son, Greg, on his left. "I agree. Besides, you've told us that you won't be celebrating your graduation and that just won't do!"

Harry ducks his head shyly, a smile making a permanent home on his face. This is all so foreign to him, the warm welcome and affection, that he doesn't know how to handle it. So far, his only response is to take everything with open arms and embrace them, letting them fill his heart, which has been thirsty for the love of a family for a very long time.

"Watch as Hazza thanks us again in a few minutes," Niall snickers, looking properly adorable with his toga and graduate cap still on. He claps Harry on the back, grinning.

"I won't," Harry protests with red cheeks. He fiddles with the tassel of his own graduate cap, which is on top of his lap.

Luckily, the food arrives. It saves Harry from more of Niall's jolly teases. The Horan family and Harry dig into the delicious neapolitan pizza, making small talk. When asked about his plans now that he's graduated, Harry tells Niall's parents that he plans on having a year to save up before he continues his way to university to take up a degree in business. Maura and Bobby compliment him and tell him that if he needs any help, he shouldn't hesitate to come to them. Harry flounders at that, overwhelmed by their kindness, and barely manages to nod. Soon, conversations end as they all enjoy the food. Then, Niall's parents pay for the meal and exit the restaurant. The Horans insist on dropping Harry off to his home and he agrees because, honestly, he's going to get lost if he attempts to go home on his own. The ride home is spent with more lively conversation and Harry wonders if this is how it is when you have a family, somewhere that you belong to. He likes it and wants to have it for himself.

"Thanks for driving me home," Harry says once he's in front of the Tilley's massive steel gates. "I appreciate it."

"You're welcome, lad," Bobby replies, smiling at Harry. "See you around?"

"Yeah."

Maura adds, "Don't be a stranger, alright? Call us if you need anything."

"I will."

"Bye, Haz!" Niall waves madly, still full of energy despite it being 9 in the evening.

Harry returns the wave and soon the family is off towards their own home. Harry watches them go until they disappear down the road before making his way inside the house. Upon entering, Harry notices that the Tilley's residence is alive with music, lights and chatter. He looks at the massive glass windows of the living room and sees guests milling about, carrying red cups and paper plates filled with food. He guesses that this is Jakob's graduation party. Harry makes a detour and uses the back door to enter the house because he knows Lilian would have his head served on a platter if he dares to show himself to their guests.

Quietly, Harry tiptoes past the kitchen and to the stairs. He knows that there won't be any person on this side of the house because if there is one thing that Lilian despises, it is home cooked meals on parties. Ever since Harry can remember, Lilian has hired the same catering services for all of her children's birthday, except Harry's, and they set their food and drinks table inside the extravagant dining area of the house. And so, with confidence that no one will see him, Harry climbs the stairs to his room in the attic, still dressed in his toga. However, his plan to escape unnoticed goes down the toilet when he reaches the second floor of the house.

At first, Harry sees Katerina and her short, dyed ombre hair. Next, he notices that she's not alone, her body is pressed against someone else's. A guy, made obvious by the dark short hair and prominent adam's apple, but instead of the bloke putting the moves on her, it looks like she's the one that's doing it.

"Why aren't you attracted to me?" Katerina says, still oblivious to Harry's presence. She plays with the guy's hair and clicks her tongue when he swats her hand away.

The lad groans loudly, annoyed, and breaks free from her hold. "I told you, I already have a girlfriend."

"That's not an issue to me."

"It is to me," the guy sighs. Harry symphatizes with him for he knows how stubborn Katerina gets when she sets her sight on something. "Besides, I only met you today. Our parents are working on a deal to be business partners, our relationship is wholly on a professional level."

Katerina sighs heavily but she isn't relenting. "No one will know. It'll be quick."

Harry couldn't help it, really. He snorts and then covers his mouth with his hand, muffling his chuckles. If anyone asks him why he has become so stupid as to laugh at his adopted sister, risking his life, he'll blame it on being around Niall, someone who is so easy to amuse.

As expected, Katerina is enraged, glaring at Harry. "What are you laughing at, orphan?"

Harry winces, his amusement dying as quickly as it came. "I'm sorry," he apologizes softly. He hangs his head and misses the bloke's eyes on him.

"You better be," Katerina scoffs. Annoyed at being interrupted of her fun, she tears herself away from the stranger and stomps away. She shoves Harry to the side as she descends the stairs, the young man almost tumbling down after her. Luckily, Harry manages to cling to the wall.

Harry thanks all of his lucky stars and sighs in relief. His head snaps up when an unfamiliar voice addresses him.

"I owe you one, mate."

"Pardon?"

The guy grins and now that Harry has his eyes focused on him, realization dawns on him. It is the same bloke that caught Harry's eyes back at the photography studio. Well, would you look at that. Not alot of people get an opportunity like this, Harry thinks.

Up close, Harry sees how beautiful this lad truly is, so much that Harry's hands grow clammy with sweat, his throat closing up on him. He drinks his face in, memorizing the slopes and planes of his handsome face. Sadly, though, the guy doesn't seem to remember Harry.

"She's been bugging me all night and, honestly, if it wasn't for you, I would have knocked her out and ran the hell away from here."

Harry laughs, a loud squawk of a laugh and the guy joins him.

"Thanks for having such a good timing, bro. I'm Zayn Malik."

Harry's heart flutters. Now, he's got a name to match the lovely face starring in his dreams.

"My name's Harry Styles."