Chapter twenty five

a/n

Again, this chapter deals with grief. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was the day of the funeral and I wasn't emotionally prepared! 

Mark was not going, he was at work...

Lilly was there.

I was wearing a black dress, knee length - it was hot outside. 

My dad wanted daisies at his funeral and he wanted Josh's favourite cake: red velvet. I think that sums my dad up perfectly, he wanted what his children wanted. A beautiful relationship within our family. 

When we were little, dad would always sing with us, because he was an amazing singer, and we would sing: "Can't Help Falling In Love" by Elvis Presley. That song was played when we were all exiting the church - that was kind of hard. 

When we entered the church it all got ten times more real. Hundreds of people. Dozens of flowers around the coffin and a nice picture of him with myself, mother and brother. I remember the day that photograph was taken. The dog was running around in the back garden and we had built forts and were playing in them - it was the day before I moved to London. When the photograph was taken I was twenty years old and thought that my dad was amazing, and I still do. My brother was pretending to be glad that I was leaving and my mum was making sure everything was packed in my car- we forced her to get in the photo! My dad was just reflecting on how his Daisy was twenty and moving away! In some ways, I wish I had never left but then I would have never met some people that I have done - at that point I looked at the simplistic heart that was worn around my neck, I still wanted him close to me... I guess Dad was right - like always! 

I was sat next to Josh and Lilly; Josh was sat next to Mum - there was only four on a bench. I was so thankful for Lilly being there. I was her full attention all week, whenever I needed help, she was there - no questions asked. 

"... and now Steve's daughter, Mia, is going to deliver a speech."The vicar announced.

I clutched the love heart necklace as I slowly stood up and made sure I had a firm grip of the piece of paper that contained my speech. I must point out, all through that speech I was crying, not only for my father but, because little bits of it reminded me of Theo... 

"Hello, thank you for coming, I am most definite my dad would have been thankful for each and every individual that showed today or had him in their thoughts." I began. "It's an awful thing when the people we love are taken away from us - whether they make the choice to separate themselves from us or the choice was made for them. 

I am totally aware that my dad was the best dad for me and my brother therefore I won't waste your time talking about how amazing he was! 

Just short of a year ago, I was upset about something - and I won't go into detail - but my dad helped me realize that my problem wasn't a problem at all, I just needed to see the truth in it! That was the kind of human being he was: not only was he highly optimistic in himself, he was optimistic about everything around him - for that, I am completely and utterly indebted to him!

When I was eight months old, I said my first word. 

When I was ten months old, I stood up.

When I was fourteen months old, I took my first step.

All taught by my parents. 

My Dad would call me Daisy in the process - I did get a bit confused because I thought that I had two names for a while, but it's all good now!